2,4-D Amine on res lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnchopper, Apr 23, 2010.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

since the Menards WBG doesnt seem to to the trick on broadleafs I noticed in the ag section of the store 2,4-D Amine thats primarly used for agricultural apps but it says it can be used on lawns I was wondering if anyone has uses 2,4-D Amine and lawns before and had any luck?? Its very concentrated but has mixing instructions to uses with a hand sprayer which is what i'll be using to spot treat weeds

If i remember right most commercial applicatorss are using 3-way herbicides mostly right??

2. GreenwithEnvyLawn

GreenwithEnvyLawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

When I first started out I used 2,4-D Amine a lot. Bought it from Rural King and went to town. At that time I was using a 30 gal sprayer to do the job. If you are just spot treating why not use a non-selective herbicide and hit the weeds with that? The 2,4-D is great to use for total lawn coverage.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

because he want's to kill the weeds, not the lawn. Haven't you seen the Ortho commercial. :laugh:

2,4-D won't kill everything that a 3-way blend will. depends on what weeds you got.

4. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I use to use it all the time, i put it in a 30 gal sprayer, 4 oz to teh gal. is how i mixed it. kills dandis good, if the conditions were right it would get most of the creeping charley, but you had to work to get the clover to die.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Actually Ortho Weed B Gone is almost the same as a three way. Ortho improved the formula 5 years ago. Better than 2,4-D. However for tough weeds use Ortho Clover, oxalis and chickweed killer. Be sure to use it full strength, maximum permitted.

6. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have a jug of straight 2-4d.I used it kill dandies and other broadleafs near pine windbreak and back lots that want to keep their white clover.

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've use the Amine 400 2, 4-D from Tractor Supply with great results in my 25gal boom sprayer. I've used it in a back area of my property that was overrun with broadleaf's as well as several neighbors yards with dandelions. It's also priced very well, $50 for 2.5 gallons. I use this when I don't have time to hit Lesco for Three-Way. http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/amine-400-2-4-d-2-1-2-gal--4201543

8. jspray

jspray LawnSite Member

2,4-D is still a good ag. product as it is mostly used on annual weeds that are young. On turf we find older hard to kill weeds part of which may be perennial.

A good 3-way such as Triplet works much better. The 2,4-D, MCPP, and Dicamba act in a synergistic manner and is very effective on hard to kill turf weeds such as lespedeza.

Additionally in centipede areas Triplet can be safely used.

9. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I bought some last nite at Mills Fleet farm it Gordens 2,4-D Amine i think you mix it 1 oz pergal to spot treat

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

it will work but a 3-way product will work better and not cost much more.