1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2-4-d herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by willslawncare, Apr 4, 2010.

1. willslawncare

willslawncare LawnSite Member

I would like to purchase some 2-4-d but im not sure if i can. I live in north carolina. Does anyone know if i can purchase it or do i need to get a license for herbicides? and i dont mean the 2-4-d that comes in weed-be-gone at walmart.
  2. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you apply any type of herbicide, even bought from WalMart, you need a license.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

4. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

You should be able to purchase it. I have some that I use around my property and my parents property. I refer all of my customers to a lic applicator although I may get mine soon.
  5. rwsawal04

rwsawal04 LawnSite Member

We'll you can purchase 2-4d at any chemical supplier, but you can't do any spraying unless it's your yard because you dont have a license.
  6. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Ya ... sorry I should have clarified that I do not encourage spraying it without a license. You can however use it on your own yard. My parents property is large so thats why I do it. I will not be spraying customers yards until i get a lic although you can use straight fertilizer without a license here in texas.
  7. jspray

jspray LawnSite Member

In NC 2,4-D is not restricted and you can buy it and apply it as long as you are on your own property and not as a commercial enterprise.

2,4-D is a poor turf herbicide as it will not control the tough turf weeds--a 3 way material such as Triplet or Trimec is much better.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Weed B Gone (a three way mixture) will do a better job. Chickweed/clover killer for tough weeds.
  9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

2,4-D wasn't that a component of agent orange? All I know is that it burns the crap out of the desirable floritams & St. Augustine. I try not to use it unless i want a fast burn down & I'm too cheap to buy Scythe
  10. laxman3221

laxman3221 LawnSite Member
    from MD

It was. But it wasn't the bad ingredient, that was TCDD a dioxin.

Agent Pink was the worst.