2 4-D or MSMA entire weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vango123, Apr 17, 2004.

1. vango123

vango123 LawnSite Member

What to do, new customer, entire weeds broad-leaf + grassy weeds with thin patches of Bermuda throughout. Temps are mid 70s to low 50s. Spray with 24-d product or A strong mix of MS MA and hope its hot enough to work. The 2 4 -D doesn't get the grassy weeds and I'm afraid that the strong dose of MS MA (to kill all weeds) will harm or kill the thin patches of Bermuda. Should I wait until the temps reach 80s and Hit it with a strong dose of MS MA.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Why can't you use 24d ?

3. vango123

vango123 LawnSite Member

I dont think the 2 4 D would get good results on mature weeds, it takes up to three weeks to be effective, and doesnt get grassy weeds like foxtail, brome, tall fescue.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What does the label read?
    I'd use the msma .
    It's a top kill only and will not harm the root system .
    It's designed for this purpose .
    The bermuda will come back.
    That's all you can do .
    Use a preemergent to control future weeds .
    Use at least 2 different kinds .
    The more the better .

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You could mix them and use a 2-4-D ester.

6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Trimec Plus. Watch air temperatures.....

7. vango123

vango123 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I need rates/1000, I want to know what is working. Is 1.75oz/1000 a good burn for MS MA with air temps in 80s .

8. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

I would wait on the MSMA, treat now with 2,4-D, fertilize now to strengthen bermuda, and hit it with MSMA in 4-6 weeks and again in a couple of more weeks. 1.75 is a stout rate and would act if temps were high enough. Sounds like you have some large winter weeds cycling out---I wouldn't worry about them at this point. We don't apply MSMA until after May 15 and only then if night temps are 62+ also. I've tried it many times before that date, but have had consistently poor results. I am sure our temps are a little ahead of yours.LOL