Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by chuckers, Jun 3, 2005.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Best place to buy it??? Also cheepest? I need 100 gallon.
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Gooosh I hope you are licensed cause if not , you will be attacked by those who are .
    I get mine at Helena Chem Co.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you are not licensed you can find it in homeowner concentrations at you local stores. 2-4-d is used in many products and is the most studied herbicide on the market.
    Try you local farmers co-op for larger amounts.
  4. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

But make sure your licensed please if you are going to apply it to anything other than your own lawn :)
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

100 gallons of concentrate, now that I think of it HOLY COW what are you going to spray? The whole state of IOWA?

Do a little checking, Trimec has 2-4 d in it as well as many other formulations but it is not something to mess with if you are not sure and as the others above said about the license.
  6. chuckers

Doing alot of trails for horse owners. I would try the local elevators but they are upset because I took that job they wanted it. Yes, I am certified in every aspect including turf ag and ornamental.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Farm supply stores (TSC, Orchelens, and the like) usually stock straight 2-4 D. Generally it's labled for pastures and fields. Price is less than going with a Trimec/3-way product and you will get good results. 100 gallons may be a bit hard to come by though, unless maybe you could get one of those stores to order it for you. Otherwise a chemical supplier like Helena, Van-Deist (sp?) and others.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand the 100 gallon thing. It depends on the concentrate, product, and what needs to be accomplished. Are these horse trails grassy trails, or are they wanting to eliminate all vegetation (like woodchips), or what?
  9. chuckers

Its 84 miles of horse trails that are 22 ft wide and they have a few other places to do. Also it is to remove poison ivy etc. Because horses get it just like humans. another words they want all vegetation killed
  10. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

The best bang for the buck would be going to the nearest co-op or chemical supplier. It looks like you have around 200 acres to spray. If you use 2,4-d LV-6 you can apply 1-4 pints per acre and get pretty reasionable control of most broad leaf weeds and poison ivy. Two pints per acre would probably do a pretty good job. You might want to try mixing in some Ally ( ag only) for a wider spectrum of weed control at 2/10 oz per acre.