1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2.5 acre w/w-b?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Mar 17, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Nice property with 6 apple trees, sand mound, and maybe 6 small trees.... 2.5 acres. Drainage good (so they say, I was there today and we're having a major meltdown in Pa.). Flat.

So, being my first season, am I taking on too much with a 48" w-b with sulky?

If not, for scheduling purposes, I need to figure a conservative estimate of how long it might take. It's a country setting and she didn't seem particular about manicured trimming every week around the trees or any kind of edging. longish driveway to blow, but that's about it.

Besides estimating how long it might take me, how much would be a reasonable rate?

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

No it is not to big it will just take you a while.
    Probably around 2 1/2hr.payup
  3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

2.5 hrs sounds about right.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How are you guys coming up with 2.5 hrs? He has a 48" and sulky and on flat ground that setup should be able to do around 1 3/4 acres an hour (at 5mph) so there is 1 1/2 hrs in mowing only and I do not see how he can come up with another hour of work there. Blowing maybe 5 minutes trimming maybe 10-15 minutes depending how much walking? Even if he was edging it would not be 2 1/2 hrs?
  5. KDJ

I have a GS45 48" mower and two customers with 2.5 lots, both takes me every bit of 2-2.5 hrs. I guess this old man is just slowing down.
  6. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Okay, 1 3/4 shortest, 2.5 hours conservative estimate...

It's a nice home on 2.5 rural acres. How much is a reasonable charge for something like that?

I've seen a lot of "acre" prices using the search engine, but this is my first year and the job looks pretty easy. Do you charge sqft differently for rural acres?

7. KDJ

Here in Central Florida all you can get is about 85.00.
  8. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I cut 2.5a with a 48". This property had alot of trees and rocks. It took me 2 1/2 hours to cut and 45 min to weedeat.
    I made $125 per cut.
    If your starting out thats not so bad but I would rather have 3 small ones. After an hour on the velke I'm ready to load and go.
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 1.75 acre per hour is probably at top speed the whole time, using 100% of the cutting width, and all in a straight line.

Remember there are obstacles, turning, some overlap, maybe dumping a bag, slowing down in heavy growth or leaves, Then there is some trimming, and blowing off drives, and picking up some sticks or trash.
    The real mowing world is never 100% efficient straight mowing.

I do a couple 1/2 acre lots. One is 20k of turf and takes me a good hour with trimming and blowing using my 36" belt drive and jungle wheels. Across the street. Same size lot but only 18k turf and it often takes me closer to 2 hours than 1. I have done it in one hour in PERFECT conditions. But it has a lot more trimming and a lot heavier growth. No two yards are alike

2.5 Acres with a 48" hydro. Sight unseen I would say 1.75 to 3 hours.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

PaulJ - Still coming to the BBQ - We will also have a Floating 36" exmark there now with the Flex-Deck - From Des Moines - You will be amazed at what it does for a WB. Your accounts will take no time at all - just keep bidding what the market will bear, and your profit margin will still be out of site from the competitors.

Thanks Brad[​IMG]

36x-floater-operator view.jpg