2.5 Acres of mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joe stihl, Mar 12, 2005.

1. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Fairly new at this. I have a customer that wants me to mow only, no trimming, edging or blowing. The place is outside of town and almost 2.5 acres. I could almost mow and never put my feet in the grass. I have a 48" ztr. Mostly open, flat ground with just one group of trees that shouldn't be to hard to get around. Wants it done every week. Any suggestions on pricing? I want to give her a break cause all I'll do is mow.

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

should take around 1 1/2 hours with that mower.

add insurance, gas, and equipment up-keep if you have it and fix your price.

What's 1 1/2hrs plus travel time worth to you?? :cool2:

3. lawnbgone

lawnbgone LawnSite Member

We have a similar property and we charge $65/cut. We use 2 W.B. mowers (48") with two wheeled sulkies.Done in less than 1 hour.
    Hope this helps

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

$65 for 2.5 acres? :laugh: you should get AT LEAST $50 an acre.

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Joe; I am from the opposite end of the country and the high end of the pay scale. Around here, 15K of green grass gets cut for roughly $50.00 per cut, with trimming, edging and a blow job. You are just starting and in Texas. I do not know the rates in Texas, but, as stated, figure your expenses and time, and go from there. Maybe stay on the low side of things, for now, just to land the job. Do it for awhile, and re-adjust the price if you have to. Good luck with it.

6. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

have two customers got about acre and half and just mow ..i charge $50 buck and only 15 min away from shop ....i only charge $50 cause it wide open and close to the shop and everytime theys ask me do Extra ..I charge extra,,,,Good luck !!

7. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. She lives less than 5 minutes away. She says now she wants me to mow the front every week and the back every other week. Front is a little over an acre. I think I'll tell her $50 to mow the front and $80 to mow the whole thing. Maybe then she'll just go for the whole thing every week.

8. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I agree, I charge a min of $60 for one acre and give breaks for more property

9. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

It is really hard for me to give these types of quotes...there has been a million posted before.

But seriouslly...go for what you think will work best for you. If you dont get it..there is plenty of others wanting their grass cut. The front only one acre with no trimming..I could go for 50. But with 2.5 acres total...that needs to be over $100.00 no doubt. Get your moneys worth...