2.5 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Nov 19, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up a job for next summer. The lot is about 2.5 acres big. Its an older fella that really doesnt care what it looks like. There is not much trimming at all. I think it would probably take me about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete it all.

He was a little adamant about paying alot of money so i was wondering what you guys would charge.

I told him between 85 and 105 and keep in mind that im doing it by myself, no employees to play.

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

sounds kind of high, only because a guy with a Z can come in and do 2.5 acres in an hour easily...
    If he will pay it who cares.

3. packerbacker

Wow, i thought it sounded kind of low. But your right, if he pays it then who cares.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

what is your hourly rate? if it takes 1.5 to 2 hours multiple your hourly rate by that and that should be what you charge.

5. EGLS

EGLS LawnSite Member
    from West TN

here 2.5 acres goes for about $80 tops. with tons of trimming takes 1hr 10min,

6. packerbacker

I try to get about 55 an hour but like i said the guy doesnt have to much cash, he's basically living off of social security, and there is almost no trimming at all, i cant charge him 200 bucks just to mow it. i guess i go with about 100 bucks or so

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Here we are again talking hourly rates.
    I still contend that a 2.5 acre yard is worth X number of dollars depending on the area you live in. Around here it is about $65, with minimal trimming.

NOW. If I want to invest $800 in a 21 inch push mower and take 8 hrs, They will pay me $65.

NOW. If I want to invest in a 9 1/2 foot mower and take 30 minutes, they will pay me $65

It all depends on the equipment, how efficient it is as to what you make an hour. Posting comments like I shoot for $1 per minute without telling us your equipment you are running is crap.

Thanks Brad

8. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

totally agree. Someone shouldnt pay you 100 because it takes you 2hrs when they can pay a guy with a faster mower and can do it in half the time for 50.

but then on the other hand if someone is willing to pay the bill, oh well...

until you get that guy with the faster mower thats drops off an estimate for half of your fees... then you will look dumb and trying to take an old mans money...

9. packerbacker

Why shouldnt we talk hourly rates, what happens in the spring when its growing 6 inches a week and you might have to double cut it and spend twice the time there. You pay mechanics by the hour, you pay plumbers by the hour, why shouldnt we get paid by the hour.

And just to clarify i really dont charge by the hour for mowing. Just for cleanups. I try to make 55-60 an hour by averaging 2 yards and hour.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

benefits gained from expendatures on more efficent methods should go in your pocket not thiers.