2 acres of tilling..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o-so-n-so, Nov 16, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Just looked at a job that will consist of 2 acres of tilling and some boxblade work.
    The customer basically just built a new house in the middle of a pasture. Has been living in the house for about a year and never had any landscaping of any sort. There are lots of ruts from from the delivery trucks and a few high/low spots to be leveled.

2 acres minus where the house is sitting. Job description is till complete area, boxblade where needed with final prep by hand.
    Will also include around the house. All level ground. Thats all.

How much $$$$$?

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Tp of my head without seeing it $3600.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Open pasture? does it need mowed first? I will assume it does if it sat a yr with nothing being done. $6000. When I bid these out I find that most of the time they were not done, is home owner had no idea what cost was gonna be, plus 2 acre is usually close to some farmer thats willing to do it for a few hundred $$.

Mac

4. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

ole dirt,

He has been mowing the area with a riding mower.

Its like the ground was soft at one time and you drove around in your vehicle kind of rough. Nothing major.

My tiller will offset so I can get real close to the house. Only 1 utility pole to maneuver around.

I went in at $2500.00. I figure one day of tractor work alone. One day with 3 labors including myself with rakes and wb tiller.

I don't think I'll get it at my(unintentional) low bid. This is a classic case of "in over your head" with the house. The young guy was wearing a uniform with his name on it. (40K year max) There vehicles were slightly older, no landscaping what so ever and the house is at least 175k-200k setting out on daddy's land.

Sure hate knowing I cut myself a couple of grand.

Thanks guys....

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If you rent a harley rake for a day or half a day then that will cut down your labor costs for final hand grading. One pass will level, till, and bury all debris. Should be able to do the whole lot in a half to 3/4 of a day easily.

6. olderthandirt

from here

Those are the hardest jobs to get and when I do get to bid one out I bid it fairly high becouse even with a harly rake you usually have to rip it up some. But up here my min. is $2500 an acre and I get to do a few each yr. I love it when I get one new 5 acre lot I just find me the closest farmer and give him $500 to disc and cultypack and then 1 hr per acre to seed fert and straw.

7. olderthandirt

from here

o-so-n-so
    Did I understand right your figure 1 day to till, I can till 2 acres in about 2 hrs and thats powdering it weeds and all. If it takes a day to till you need a bigger tractor and /or tiller dude

8. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Yup, One day of tractor work, boxblade and till. I think it will take some time going around the house.
    I only need to till just enough to get a smooth bed.

The Harley rake may be the way to go.

If I get the job, I will post some before/after photos.

Thanks for all the input. You are a big help.

I've only had the tractor for about 8 months and have not done a whole lot of tilling. Some of this stuff I have to learn as I go.

I think that answers your comment. "tiller dude" is correct

9. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

NCU

how deep does a harley rake til?

10. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

harley rake will go about 4-6 inches( give or take)