2 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THIESSENS TLC, Oct 22, 2011.

1. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how much I should charge to cut a 2 acre property. I haven't seen the property yet so I dont know what kind of obstacles are in the way or even what to take into consideration. Lets say its all grass & no trees or anything in the way. What would you charge. I have a Gravely Pro-Stance 1934fx. Not sure if it will handle the job, I think it will...probly take me quite some time to mow it though. What is your opinion?

2. THIESSENS TLC

Is there anybody out there?

3. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Just depend on your rate...do you charge by the hour, job, minute? Estimate how long it will take and go from there. If there is alot of trimming also take that into account. Me i charge a flat 40 per acre in my demographic.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. THIESSENS TLC

40 an acre??? Really, thats it? I heard from a local shop in my area, people are paying 80-90 an acre. But I'm moving to a different community which is an hr away from my current house now, so not too sure what people are paying where I will be moving to.

5. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I'm out there and I say go look at the property and see how easy it would be to cut and how much obstacles to mow around and trimming/edging there is. You really have to see it yourself and see what's it like because a wide open 2 acre property won't take too long but if there are a ton of obstacles it could take forever. Figure out how long it will take you to do everything and then use your hourly rate and do the math.

6. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

a 34 stand-on sounds brutal for 2 acres by the way but man up and do it if you need the account. good luck

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I usually get around $60 per acre with no trees or trimming. Its going to take you a while with a 34". So you may have to charge more to make up for the extra time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking he should charge more because he doesnt have the right equipment for the job is a sure way to not win the bid. Thats like saying since you have a small plow you should charge more cause it takes longer. Wrong.

9. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

Wow $40 an acre is low. I live in Central america and have to charge that rate due to no money down here. When I lived in florida one of my properties was an acre and I paid $75.00 for the guy to just mow it. No trimming or anything else that was back in 2004.

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

JDieastra your right he does need the right equipment. But if he is going to bid he needs to account for his extra time or not bid at all. Let the client decide who wins.
    Posted via Mobile Device