1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 blower questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

1) does anyone else get the frozen hand stiffness after holding the blower tube for an hour... and it takes about 10 minutes before you can move your pinky? And i wear gloves..

2) with the blower on your back, how tight do you leave the straps? i have 2 blowers, one they're loose, and the blower sort of hangs off my back, pretty comfortable. and the other is more tight, almost flush against my back. I've been using both machines alot lately, and have wound up with some backaches...
    is there actually a proper way, or is just comfort and preference.
    Any older guys talking from experience, who can say..don't make the same mistakes i did, and mess up your back.
  2. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i dont get stiffness from the blower but i do from the mantis. i cant straighten my hand for a minute or so.

as far as bp straps. i think if they are loose, it creates a lot more stress. Imagine an extreme scenario, hang an 80lb. thing of tube sand from your shoulders on 2 ft. straps and walk around. then take the tube and drape it across your shoulders and walk around.(sorry, thats the best i could come up with)LOL
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

With the straps, there is a compromise there, though. Especially with cooler weather coming on, and we are dressing in thicker clothes like lined flannels and jackets. When the strap is too tight, I have too much difficulty getting the blower on and off. When it's looser, it is so much faster. I DO keep it just above the arch in my back, though.
    With the blower tube thing, I have the handles mounted on the tubes of mine, so with the throttle lock on, I can switch grips and hold the pipe once in awhile. I've even crossed my left arm over and held with that or both hands while in the bushes, if that's what it takes.