1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$2 bucks and a banana

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 30, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my first bush trimming job, i'll never forget it...it was 10 yrs ago, i put my first add in the paper, and got 2 customers. one was a weekly mow for $15, and another was every other week, for $17. the $17 lady asked me to trim a yew in her front yard, i said ok. she didn't ask for a price, and i didn't know what was appropriate, so i didn't quote anything, i figured when i was done, i'd knock and tell her $10 bucks. i borrowed a set of hedge trimmers, and proceeded to wack the hell out of that poor yew. when i got done, i knocked on the door, and she invited me in. it was hot as hell out, she gave me a glass of iced tea. i was sweating badly, she thanked me for the trimming, told me to clean up a little better before i leave, handed me $2 bucks, and a banana, saying the potasium was good for you when working in the heat. i was lost for words, unsure of what to say, so i thanked her, and cleaned up a little better. what a difference a decade makes. anyone remember thier first job in this field?
  2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, but I'm not gonna admit it!! I did learn quick and charge accordingly these days. Matt
  3. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

My first customer stiffed me.

I took a jungle on a 1/4 acre lot and made it presentable. It took me an hour and a 1/2 with a 22". Man, that thing was out of control.

The owner came out after and griped about everything. Griped Griped Griped!!!!! Then they said that if this is the best you can do I want to discontinue service. I handed them the bill and they said they would send a check.

I was shocked and dismayed. I went over the whole job in my head several times. I knew I did it right. I knew the job looked good.

Now, looking back on it I realize that I was scammed. This person mowed their own lawn and had let the it get out of control and just wanted someone else to get it back into shape for them. They had no intention of signing up for regular service.

I never saw that check.

But, boy did I learn many invaluable lessons from them.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was a deep thick green and actively growing lawn that went practicly streight down the hill,talk about virtical!!
    So I let my little Snapper down and up by way of a hook and pulley to a tree,well to several tree's before I was done.What a joke!!
    I asked the old lady how she possilbly could mow that lawn? looked at me and said
    "Oh I don't mow it...pause..The neighbor does,it's his lawn and he weedeats it once in a while.!) ;)
    So I say..well why in the heck dident you tell me? :cry: She said I was so wrapped up in watching you figure out how to do it..with those ropes and all,then I dient have the heart to tell you after you went to all that trouble!!!"AGHHHHHH.
    well where is yours?She leads me out the
    back door and shows me a tiny patch of lawn about the size of a stepping stone..
    AGHHHHHH :blob3:
  5. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

mowed the nieghbors lawn for $7 when I was about 12. I wanted a new bike and dad made me find a job. I knew I was getting shafted because it took over an hour but I used all the guys equipment and he always brought me hats and baseball cards and such so I didnt care. Besides he had a self propelled mower so its not like it was hard to do. I always rememeber my lines were never as straight as they should be. I did a pretty crappy job but it was always acceptable. He always paid up and he always paid very well for the extras.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's been too long and I am too old to remember back that far Bobby. Period But I still have my very 1st customer btw...
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

First off This proves Rod suffers from CRS! :D

Secondly, this proves that all businesses from NJ aren't like BG's

Finally, this proves that not all of us have the same problematic client relationships as does BG!

My first client was an elderly Italian neighbor. I worked from him from the age of 13 till his death when I was in college. He taught me how to diagonally mow lawns when I was about 15 years old. He always said that one day I should get myself a truck and/or trailer and make a go of this biz. I never figured doing this full time as I did very well in college. After his passing, I chose to name my biz in his memory. We're still going strong some 17 years later. Thank you Mr. Penn!
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so then, your business is called, "my first lover landscaping?"
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Rod can remember how much he made last year though Td..haha :p