2 Crews 1 job??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am bidding some sizable jobs. Chances are i will have enough work to run 2 crews. But i really do not want to run two different jobs until i am trust my workers enough for that.

I know having 5 guys working on something is going to result in atleast 1 guy slacking. So i am thinking of running to 'crews' on 1 job. Have 1 crew work in the front of the house, one in the back. Then i will still be able to supervise all the work being done. I know i am going to have to get ALOT of work done in fast to meet deadlines, and i think this will be the best way. Also it should save on having to buy mutiple peices of the same equipment.

Any of you guys do anything like this?

Matt

2. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

I have (3) construction crews consisting of 3-4 guys on each crew, and once in awhile on huge projects I will have (2) crews at the site and operate like you described, it works good as long as they are not stepping on each other, meaning have (1) crew in the back and (1) in the front type of thing...

3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are rolling ! I am adding up the overhead and trembling. Every year I add some overhead and understand the liablities of these bigger companies. Way to go.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been involved with similiar with a company I used to work for on large sites with *big* homes. Trust me, it'll drive you nuts trying to stay on top of both crews if you don't have good foreman on each crew.

If you can swing it, go for it. You'll certainly learn a lot about your guys and what they are capable of, and you will get a lot done. If you can schedule it out so that one crew gets to the site 2-3 days ahead of the second crew, you'll probably have less headaches.

Good luck.

5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

we had 11 guys on one job today. they were separated into "crews" and each crew had a specific job so no one was bumping into eachother. we had 2 machines running, a crew tamping RCA and a waterfall/boulder crew installing moss rock coping, walls and a waterfall. at the end of the day we put them all together to load a dumpster full of construction debris and shrub demo. it worked well because everyone knew their role.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Find someone with some good expierience and be willing to pay him what he is worth. We run 2 construction crews , sometimes when we have delayed starts on jobs or don't need the second crew they'll do plantings and stuff but no matter what you're doing you gotta have at least one guy on each crew that can do exactly what you tell him to do, and know how to get it done. We're still looking for our second crew labor as we did not do the h2b thing this year, big mistake. If you need to keep guys busy so they don't start looking give me a ring, maybe we can work something out.