1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 cycle equipment is bad for environment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jan 3, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it true that 2 stroke engines equipments such as the shindaawa's, stihl's, backpack blowers, trimmers are bad for the environment?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That all depends on who's perspective you're looking at the issue from.

I believe that all of the emissions from 2 stroke handheld lawn and garden equipment in the U.S.for 1 year probably doesn't add up to the emissions from 1 aging coal fired power plant running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

In Maryland coal fired power plants account for over 60% of emissions. The remaining 40% comprises everything else including automobiles, off road equipment, farm tractors, boats, aerosols, freons, chemical plants etc...

Outdoor power equipment which comprises of everything from bull dozers to boats to handheld 2 strokes makes up less than 4% of the total emissions.

Sometimes you see the analogy that one 2 stroke trimmer releases more emissions in 10 minutes than an automobile that is run for an hour. This may be true but the emissions from automobiles that are running at any given time far outweighs that from 2 strokes by simple virtue of number of automobiles to 2 stroke equipment.
  3. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

I think in the big picture, Mr. Martin has the right take on it. However, two strokes do spit alot of their fuel right out of the exhaust which ultimately is not going to be a good thing environmentally and is certainly bad for business.

I have heard that 30% is a good figure for how much fuel the two strokes spit out their exhaust; can anybody verify this? If it is true, thats $30.00 right off the top of every $100.00 worth of oil and gas you buy and that is a pretty serious handicap if you think about it, especially if you run alot of equipment.

BTW, in the interest of remedies, has anyone here tried the Stihl 4Mix or the Honda four stroke trimmer yet? Opinions?
  4. ..or the echo Tornado Boost engines?
  5. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The Tornado Boost Engine is unbelievably good! You don't have to worry about annoying valve maintenace either.
  6. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

All of you not in the west, get ready for the new EPA "improvements"(term used loosely) on your two stroke machines. In Arizona, I can't even find most of the two stroke models discussed on this forum!!!! I wonder, in what other states this is taking place?
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure which side of the fence you're standing on "Charlie Sierra". If that is your real name....

Didn't some of your buddies knock on my door last year?
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank Mr. Clinton for the clean air act another worthless coward president that makes laws that don’t go into effect on his watch what a big gesture that was thanks Bill. If any one has studied for the pesticide supervisors license they will remember the LD50 rating which is leathal dose in 50% of lab animals even table salt or cola will kill you if you have enough parts per million. You want to call something unsafe everything on this planet will classify if you take charts like Mr. Gore and miss read them.

The emissions testing is a joke and has been since it was enacted Remember the dreaded green house gasses. You want to ponder a real fact a single volcanic eruption produces 40,000 times more cfc gasses then man has in his entire existence on this planet that’s the truth we are insignificant were little specks on this rock and couldn’t harm it if we wanted to all we can do is make so we cant live here but the planet would recover just the same.

Read your label on the 2 cycle it says it can cause cancer if your concerned about that then don’t use them. I can understand avoiding the exhaust for that reason but gas also causes cancer. Ahhhh so either way you’re screwed. Here’s a thought we do not mine any asteroids or other planets so everything on earth came from earth if that is so how can it be called pollution if the very stuff that is considered the pollutant came from the planet it is said to pollute. Can things be come inhospitable to man or unsightly yes definitely but in the big picture all we did was move around a few elements on the planets surface.

In the 1930s when we enacted social security for retirees age 65 you were suppose to be dead it was just incase the average life expectancy was 62 then. Now here we are with a huge problem which how to pay for all the retirees. We now live 78 or 80 years on average and it continues to go up. That’s what nearly 25% more life in a mere 70 years if the environment was as bad as we are told why isn’t that number going down and not up.
  9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a question, that's all :)
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Everything nowadays is bad for the enviroment. Some more than others. I think 2 cycles fall at the bottom of the list.....