2 Cycle Fuel Mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, May 1, 2001.

1. Guest

A dealer recently told me that a 20-1 fuel/oil mixture should be used in all 2 cycle equipment, including Lawn-Boy mowers. He said Japanese manufacturers recommend the 20-1 mix for use in Japan, but EPA regulations have forced the 50-1 mix in the US. He claims the consequence is drastically reduced equipment life, and that the 20-1 mix would double the lifespan of a 2 cycle engine. He also said the 20-1 mix would increase torque under load and improve performance, and that the engine would not smoke after warming up. I watched as he demonstrated and sold a Maruyama trimmer which was filled with the 20-1 mixture. It did smoke a little when first started, but seemed to run very strong without smoking after warmup. I was impressed, and am wondering if anyone else agrees with this?
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lawn Boy that was my step-fathers when I was around 11 years old. I am now 29 going on 30..you do the math. He cut the grass for years. I started cutting my mothers yard when I was 18. I started my business with 22 inch murray's (yes I was a scrub at one time to). I was going through 1 murray a year and decided to borrow the little 19 inch cut Lawn Boy. Well I never returned it. Instead I found a 21 inch deck with a worn out engine. I swapped the engine over and ran it. Ever since I got the Lawn Boy I have been running 40:1. That little dude to this day runs strong and have only had minor problems like fuel line leaks and a cracked fuel cell. Other than that the engine runs strong. As far as my small equip. goes I have always run 40:1 in that. My oldest unit is an old commercial snapper weedeater. It is 10 years old and still runs strong. I take it out every now and then to play with it but do not use it anymore. That thing is a lead weight and takes a toll on the ole back. Anyway enough jabbering. Point is I have never used 20:1 and have never heard of using this ratio. Also one other thing. I have a 115 hp Johnson outboard on my bass boat and the specs call for a 50:1 ratio (8ozs. to 3 gallons of low grade fuel) Did a compression check on it 3 months ago for the heck of it and my boat mech. informed me that it has above average compression for that year and use. Also it was built in the good ole U S of A and that was back in 1976 when emissons were not so strict. Maybe your dealer wants to service your equipment more often to make a buck off of you. Excessive carbon build up on piston head and lots of fouled plugs and do not forget that good ole california spark arrester that is installed in all small commercial equipment all over the U.S. That thing will be clogged in no time using 20 to 1 and you will have it out in a matter of a couple of weeks at that ratio.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

With all the possibilities for fuel mixes between brands there is one sure cure for the mix problem. Switch to a 100-1 synthetic oil and enjoy the benefits. Virtually NO smoke, cooler running and longer plug life. I run Amsoil in the one gallon mix pouches. Two pouches into the can, 2 gallons of gas and away you go. No measuring, and no worry about the wrong mix. This goes in Echo, Husquavarna, Shindaiwa, Snapper(snowblower)and Mercury outboard
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

By the time you get done paying for all of the oil, sparkplugs and time spent cleaning out carbon deposits you could have easily bought all of the equiptment you were trying to save and then some. Quality TCA 2 cycle oil is expensive. I run Amsoil at 80 to 1. Nary a problem and no fouled sparkplugs.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go tell your friend he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Then ask him if he owns stock in the company that makes the oil.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont know if i want you to go tellim or not but mowerman
    is gotit about right i think.folks know what i believe in and i wouldnt tell others if it didnt just plain stop my aggrevations with 2 cycle motors. i believe stihl oil an 91 or better octane stopped my problems w 2 cycle.
    course i could be in a very long stretch of good luck . but dont think so.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Been running Amsoil remix at variable ratios for 8 years. 60:1, 70:1, 80:1 100:1.... whatever. Works great. Had one Stihl backpack engine seize, not because of the mix, because it was run with straight gas for over 20 minutes (well 4-5 minutes, 4 or 5 times total). Tore it down, unstuck the ring, threw in a little assembly lube and back to work it went. I believe the residual Amsoil allowed this.
  8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I use the Husquavarna 2 cycle oil and mix it at their recommended rate for all my engines.
    I also have two of the older LawnBoys. Both made in the 70s. Along with Stihl, Echo, Redmax, and others. And thay all seem to have a different mix from the factory.
    I learned a long time ago from an older lubrication engineer that as long as I used a premium oil that it would be O.K. for all. He also said that I should not change around. After using one oil that I should stick to it as long as possible.
    I use the Husky oil because it is colored and easy to tell when mixed. No easy chance to put the wrong fuel in one of the 2 cycles.
    No problems yet with any of the engines.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

go buy some OPTI oil mix and forget about the confusing mixtures!
  10. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Husqvarna XP mix and 93 octane mixed 50 to 1. It will run cooler with the high octane, so I'm told by pro loggers.