2-cycle gas in a regular car?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Oct 16, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ok, so I was at a friend's house the other night. And this girl that was over at his house too had run out of gas. On the way to that friend's house that night I stopped by the gas station and filled up a 5-gallon mix of 2Cycle gas.
    I thought about dumping this stuff in her tank just to get to the nearest gas station, would this have worked?
    It seems that her engine might smoke a little, but it shouldn't harm anything. Just a little oil. Thoughts please, thanks.
    Oh, since I just got a diesel truck, in the past week I've almost run out of fuel 3 times. Theres only a handful of stations within a 5 mile radius that have diesel. Finally found one today, while I was barely running on fumes.

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have used it in my '84 Chevy P/U that is carbed and it worked fine, on the other hand if the car is fuel injected and runs out of gas which is bad to begin with I don't know how good it would be for the injectors.

3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep it would have worked fine.

I was coming home from a mates house and ran out of petrol and had no fule but a fair bit of gased up 2 cycle stuff on the back of my truck............so i tipped it into a can and put it in the truck.

Ran fine

It just burns the oil...........Just blows a bit of smoke cause of the burning oil thing.............Thats all

Not detrimental to the engine.

Oh yes..........Don't be pour'n it in any EFI vehical.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

HE HE might carbon the oxygen sensor up a little bit but proably wouldnt hurt anything no more than u would have put in it, would have made the smog pump put out to try and clean up the exhaust before it exited the car

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What, pray tell, does this have to do with anything else in your post?

As for 2 cycle in the car, assuming you just put a gallon or so in and she fills it up, it'll dilute and will make no problem.
    If you dumped the whole 5 gallons in and she runs on it till needing gas again there might be complications/might not. It'll depend on general condition of engine and its sensors, and too many other 'could be's' to list.

6. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

once i had to power a four stroke generator on 2-cycle fuel (its a long story) for 10 -15 min. ran fine, still work fine.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have operated mowers and trucks on pre-mix in an emergency many times.

Look at it this way: Inside the cylinder of a car its just a piston and spark plug. Same as a 2-cycle engine.

2-cycle oil is just 30-wt oil with additives. If its 30:1, it would take 30 gallons to have a gallon of oil. That would be like a quart in 8 gallons or so.

Burning 8 gallons a car can travel 150 miles or so on average, so you are looking at the equivalent of burning a quart of oil in 150 miles in terms of effects on sensors, catalytic converter, etc.

Again, no big deal unless you do it all the time, in which case you get into vavle depsits, carbon deposits on heads, and a clogged catalytic converter.

Ken

8. Albemarle Lawn

We have operated mowers and trucks on pre-mix in an emergency many times. If a mower runs out,

Look at it this way: Inside the cylinder of a car its just a piston and spark plug. Same as a 2-cycle engine.

2-cycle oil is just 30-wt oil with additives. If its 30:1, it would take 30 gallons to have a gallon of oil. That would be like a quart in 8 gallons or so.

Burning 8 gallons a car can travel 150 miles or so on average, so you are looking at the equivalent of burning a quart of oil in 150 miles in terms of effects on sensors, catalytic converter, etc.

Again, no big deal unless you do it all the time, in which case you get into vavle depsits, carbon deposits on heads, and a clogged catalytic converter.

Ken

9. Albemarle Lawn

We have operated mowers and trucks on pre-mix in an emergency many times. If a mower runs out,

Ken

10. Albemarle Lawn

Ken