2 cycle Lawn-boy with no spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by B&B LAWN, Jul 14, 2008.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

cant get a spark at all. the mower is only 2 years old as well. is it the ignition module? what can i do to repair it?

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Now there's a name from the past, ain't seen a LawnBoy for years. Anyway, it would seem unlikely to be the ignition moduel. At this stage I would check the low tension circuit, that's the cut out wire. Usually fixed near the carburetter control plate. You should see a single wire going to the control plate, disconnect this and make sure it does not ground, then spin the engine for a spark. If it sparks then it is the fixing at the control plate that is earthing out. If no spark you'll have to remove the blower housing and check the ground wire back to the coil, checking that it is not shorting along the way. If this fails then there exists the possibility the ignition moduel is at fault. For what it's worth my money's on the ground wire. Good luck Phil :)

=

3. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Phil, I will let you know how it works out

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

coil failure is very high on lawnboys. be ready to replace it

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

very high for sure. but well worth the money to fix. nothing better that a two stroke lawn boy cept those old toro suzuki powerd units.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Or slamming my fingers in a door repeatedly. A pre-heated oven door even. I finally took mine to the dump, got tired of screwing with it all the time. I had the Silver series.

7. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

8. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

You'd think with all the modern technology available they could make a coil that would last longer than a couple of years, what's with these guys? :hammerhead:

9. sawman65

toro owns them thats whats wrong.

10. sawman65

the silver was a homeowner unit not made for comercial they made one for comercial but it was hi dollar and real heavy. been trying ti find one for a few years now you can find them but you cant buy one