2-cycle lawn boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jun 26, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Although I try to avoid them, we have once again ended up with a few yards with ~36" gates. I refuse to buy a commercial WB for these yards, so we use a 21" gravely push.

Well, once my crews started splitting routes, I had to come up with an additional 21". I could not bring myself to spend near $600.00 on a new gravely, so I went bargain basement shopping.

Found a gool 'ol boy that picks-up and rebuilds 2-cycle lawnboys. I have now purchased (4) units. (2) for the business and (2) for family members. The mowers work great. They have oversized commercial tanks, some are self-propelled, some are electric start and all are in great condition. They buzz through a yard like nobody's business.

The beautiful part of this is that not a single mower costs more than $100.00.

I was never much of a lawnboy fan in the past, but I'm starting to change my mind. Save $ to make $.

2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Iv seen the new Lawn Boys at my local dealer. They don't have the off set deck any more. They also are all 4 cycle engines now. There just like all the rest. The big question you have to ask before buying a new 21 incher is what color do you want? Thats the only difference between Toro, Lawn Boy, Cub Cadet, Honda, and all the rest.

3. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

I know what you mean the low end are all the same and my two snappers are both on there last leg .Not sure what to do but will be doing something soon.Checked on a Honda but not sure, with only 3 gated yards at only 100.00 total its hard to spend that much. payup

4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a john deere 21 incher last year. 6.75 horse. works great, especially for bagging.
    mulching isn't as nice as the 737 wiht gator blades tho. good horsepower, starts pretty good, tough deck.

doug

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Nice with those lawn-boys! :cool: I was going to get one but I like my snappers and murrays. I just picked up a good murray propelled mower that was in the garbage because the self propell didn't go fast enough. Well, it's because the belt is old and there's grass in the way of it turning. I'm going to get a new belt on it and see it fly! :D

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with ya on the Lawn Boy for a great trim or backyard mower. I always have mine on the trailer. I run it on 100:1 Amsoil and it is a mowin machine. I wish they would devise a sulky for it. :p