2 cycle LawnBoy engine on Toro 21?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 30, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here's the deal, I have a good running PUSH Lawn Boy with a good 2 cycle engine. It has no bagger just discharge or mulch. I can get, for free, a 21" Toro s/p rear bagger (same machine used to be mine and I loved it) with a 4hp Tecumseh junker engine.
    So anyway long story short has anyone put the Lawn Boy engine on a Toro? I am sure it could be done but the problem is that the through deck muffler on the L-B will be in the way of the drive belt for the Toro!! Will probably require some cutting on the Toro deck for the muffler but that belt and pulley setup would be tricky.. if I had a 5hp Kawasaki available to me I'd just use that but I don't ...

2. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Man BHB, you are always up to somethin' :)

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

LOL well I love the Toro s/p rear bagger mower and it's awesome cut and I love a good 2 cycle Lawn Boy, it's just that muffler obstruction that is muffling my motor :rolleyes:

I could just take it off but it has to be quiet. I could build my own muffler. Seriously that would work.:cool:

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Just post the pics when you are done. And, don't hurt yourself!!!!

Gotta see this!!!

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Me? Get hurt? haha.... ya i'll post pics if i do it...
    I already thought of how I could make a muffler clamp or bolt a small peice of pipe onto the LB exhaust pipe that would go horizontally under the deck with a plugged end and some 1/4" holes drilled in it. That would work good I'm sure.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go with open headers. Real men make alot of noise. HEHE :D

7. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Along the same line of thinking, I have a John Deere 14SB that is just about worn out and I need to replace it, but the Kawasaki engine still runs great. Would it be practical to try to look for a used mower to mount the Kawasaki on?

8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta see this:cool:

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

nah Jason it's gotta be reeaallll quiet!! Now the Scag... that one I'm thinking of putting a long, looping straight pipe on it with a baffle in it so it's somewhat muffled but sounds deep and throaty, It would come out the engine, loop to the left horizontally and then come back toward the right with a slant cut chrome tip!!! yeah!!! :D :cool: