2 cycle mix... okay after winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay guys, I've got a question for you ;). I had about 3 gallons of 50:1 mix left over from the fall, in one of my gas cans. I stabilized the mix, but I want to know, can I still use it in my trimmers and blowers without damaging anything?:confused:?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt recommend you use it. I dont think any manufactures manuals will recommend it either. Be safe, dump it and start fresh.....save yourself the headaches of tryin to save a couple of bucks..... good luck

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, where could I get rid of it (legally)?

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you stablized it wilth Sta-Bil or another equal brand of course you can, that is the reason for using the stablizer. It should be good for at least 90 days from when you stablized it.

5. NEPSJay

for 6 louzy dollars worth of fuel you'd chance it???:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Take it to a jiffy lube or similar place to get rid of it. They take used motor oil, they should take used gas...

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

dump it in your truck tank ,or mower tank .

7. MMLawn

CLEARLY then you have no idea what stabilizer does. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

8. NEPSJay

If you read the first post he said it was left over from the fall....thats almost 6 months ago.... Tell ya what.... I'll pay the shipping for him to ship it to you so you can run it in ur equipment, and i'll send him 6 bucks to buy fresh.....

9. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I'll take it!

10. MMLawn

Like I said, then you CLEARLY have no idea what stabilizing the fuel does chemically...

I'd use it in a heart beat IF it was properly stabilized as stated.

Information Directly From Gold Eagle:

STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer should be used in any vehicle or power equipment that is used infrequently or stored for more than 60 days. Also, treat fuel in gas cans or storage tanks as soon as purchased so fuel will stay fresh. STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer ensures quick, easy starts in all 2 & 4 cycle engines. It is safe to use in all cars, trucks, SUV’s, boat motors, marine engines, tractors, motorhomes, motorcycles, ATV’s, snowmobiles, jet skis, lawnmowers, snow blowers, tillers, weed trimmers, golf carts, power washers and generators. Use in gas, gas/oil mixtures, oxygenated fuel, reformulated gas, and diesel fuel.

One ounce of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer will keep 2-1/2 gallons of fuel fresh for 12 months. Using twice the recommended dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 24 months.