2 cycle mix question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawn Sharks, May 24, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 cycle Toro mower that takes a 32:1 ratio.

I have Echo backpack blower, trimmer and edger that are 50:1.

I have always run 32:1 in all of them.

Can I expect any major problems with the Echo gear other than cleaning plugs and exhaust ports more often?

I seem to remember someone saying it was fine but I was filling the jugs today and just thought I would ask to be sure.

They seem to start and run fine. Well the trimmer is a bit old and cranky but a new SRM-230 is coming soon I think.

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I know there wont be any major problems with using 32:1 in all your 2 stroke machines, I use 32:1 or 40: in everything. I've never experienced any kind of problems.

3. partstree

partstree Sponsor

i can vouch for oldsaw-addict, you can run 32:1 for a while, but it'll eventually start to run dirty. you should go ahead and switch back to 50:1 otherwise you might find that'll start to lose power, your next maintenance period will require a serious cleaning. nothing serious, just real dirty and a fouled spark plug.

4. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Have fun with your thirty two mix. I have run this in all of mine and also add some carb and injector cleaner to the mixed can, done this for years, Never had one blow up nor plug a muffler, have had to change plugs, I never clean a plug, just replace. once in the while I will get a little sloppy and it may get close to thirty five or forty. :)

5. Lawn Sharks

Thanks to all for the confirmation. I feel better now. :cool2:

6. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

you'll be running rich since the oil displaces oxygen...well that the simple explanation. the long one is that the dissolved oil changes how the fuel atomizes and vaporizes and mixes with the air. the more oil the poorer it mixes with the air. i usually mix to as close as possible the recomended ratio and then add a few extra drops to make up for what sticks to the spoon. im kind of anal about my oil/fuel mix and i use 32 oz bottles for the 32:1. 2 table spoons is 1 oz.

7. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

Actually if you run a more concentrated (Lower ratio) oil to gas you will be leaning out the air/fuel mixture. The oil displaces the fuel (gas) so you have less gas per volume of air. Most people get this confused and until you think about it, it is counterintuitive because everyone knows that too much oil in the fuel mix can foul plugs and run dirty - must be running rich - right???

Most people say this is running rich but actually the engine will be running lean. Your power will suffer and worst case you could run too lean and overheat.

It is best to always run the pre-mix ratio specified by the oil manufacturer since each formulation has different characteristics. If the engine was tuned properly with a premium 50:1 mix and now you run a 32:1 mix you will be giving up some performance.

Dirt bike tuners need to adjust jetting to match track conditions, humidity, temperature and altitude. Changing jets can be a pain in the butt so some times the fine tuning can be done with the oil/gas fuel mixture. Of course we are talking very small adjustments in this case.

Here is a good web site that can help explain this if you are interested. It is long but full of very good explanations.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/tech/carb1.html

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't run <50:1 in today's 2 stroke engines.

9. Lawn Sharks

Well, I guess this is a moot point now as it looks like I might sell that Toro that is 32:1 and only have 50:1 equipment left. Next fill up of the jugs will be 50:1 even though the math is harder! :D

10. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

2 shot glasses of oil per gallon i think. or was it 1.5....or one. i forgot. but i use a metered shotglass to do my mixes.