2 cycle oil - one mix fits all?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troberts, Apr 14, 2002.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I saw a 2 cycle oil today - "Pro" something or other. It claimed that it was a special oil that could be used in 50:1, 40:1, and 32:1 engines.

It literally claimed that one mix (i.e. dump contents in 2.5 gallons of gas) could be safely used for all three mix ratios.

Is this true?
    Would you recommend it?

I would like to get away from separate gas cans for my different 2 cycle equipment, but don't want to damage the equipment.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i do the same thing with echo ,stihl or husquevarna mix.
    no matter what machine its 50-1 .no problems,no fouled plugs,no dirty exhaust ports.i do use 90 or above gas.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Myself and a lot of people here use Amsoil (www.amsoil.com) synthetic 2 stroke oil. You just dump a 8 oz bottle into a 5 gallon can of gas and go with it. It eliminates those pesky clogged spark arrestors and exhaust ports. It also reduces the need to change the spark plug so often.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree with Richard, I was interested in this type of oil last summer, and the subject came up. I read all the posts on this subject. I ordered some amsoil for my 2 cycle equiptment, and started using the oil. What a difference it made, the equiptment seemed to run better, and the best part, no fouled plugs or clogged exaust ports. :D
  5. I think it was on the Amsoil web site I read that the percentage of mix is determined by the oil not the motor.

So if it's a modern 2 cycle engine, it'll be OK with 100/1 mix.

A lot of people complain about Stihls being hard to start.
    I have nothing but Stihl everything. (it's what my dealer sells)
    All have Amsoil at 80/1 mix and all are easy to start.
    Even with last year's plugs and last year's gas!
    Even the BR400 backpack blower which doesn't have a priming bulb!

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a John Deere brand oil mix that I bought at Home Depot and it work fine. I used it all last season and had no problems. Although, Amsoil has a reputation for being a suberb product.

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with everyone regarding the synthetic 2 stroke oil. I just switched over to a synthetic brand that my dealer here in Canada got. It's not Amsoil but some other brand. All my 2 cycle equipment seems to start easier, run stronger and is more fuel efficient now.
  8. amsoil 2 cycle is great we buy it direct from amsoil by the case .
    We use all amsoil in everything 2 cycle, truck oil, ztr engines.
    Its a great product.
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything I own gets 50:1 synthec. I ususally buy the stuff labelled "Marine" in the 1 gallon or even 5 quart containers.

My equipment is Redmax, Stihl, Husqvarna, Crapsman hand blower and John Deere stick edger. Never any trouble, same redmax machines for 6 years now.

I used to have trouble with 32:1 fouling plugs and exhuast.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I realize that you have not had any problems with the marine 2 stroke, but I have been cautioned against it. A marine engine is water cooled and runs at a lower temp than a backpack or trimmer. I was told by the Echo rep that marine 2 stroke should not be used and may lead to seizing. I also had a few bottle of Bel-Ray MC-1 for 2 stroke dirt bikes that he said should not be used because of the temp differences.