1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2 cycle oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Oct 5, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys just wondering real quick if anyone knows where I can buy a gallon jug or something like that of 2 cycle oil instead of buying the little small ones. If there is no such thing where and how do you guys get your oil. I see most around here buy the pack of shindiawa pro but they also run shindiawa.

Thanks.

2. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Call Travis at Waco Landscape supply, he'll hook you up with whatever you need. Click the LANDSCAPE SUPPLY banner up top.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

You can purchase them in quantity, but wouldnt it be easier to run smaller, premeasured bottles?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, you can buy almost all of the brand name oils in quantity. Just ask where you have been buying the small bottles.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THE OIL THAT CAME WITH THE MACHINE. YOU CAN USE ANY OIL YOU WANT AS LONG AS IT MEETS THE MACHINE MANUFACTURER'S SPECS.

5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Get 2-cycle oil from autozone.

They have an 8 oz ($1.50) or quart size bottles. I get the ~8 oz size and mix with 5 gallons of gas. I have used it in my blowers, trimmers, edgers, and even the mower when I run out for the last 2 years.

I normally keep the 2-cyclce and mix in a 5-6 gal can and then dump into a smaller can (1 gal) to use for filling trimmers. Its a pain to fill with a large cans when your only dumping 6-10 oz of fuel.

Hope this helps.

6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have the Oregon, JASO FC and ISO-L-EGD approved, 1 gal jugs for $12.84 ea. Mixes to 50 gallons.

7. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

Would not 8 ounces per 5 gallons be a 80-1 ratio?

Or did you mean by the quart (16) ounces; which would be 40-1?

It is a pain to add gas to trimmers (etc) from a large container!

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

2.6 oz should make 1 gallon of mix
    6.4 oz should make 2.5 gallons of mix
    13 oz should make 5 gallons of mix
    32oz (qt) should make 12.5 gallons of mix
    these are for 50:1 ratio's

9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good I'll go see what is at auto zone and if they don't have what I need I'll use landscapesupplyonline. Thanks alot guys.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic