2-cycle oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by soilman, Oct 11, 2005.

1. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Can I use oil labeled as cool for 1 to 40 mix, in a 1 to 50 mix engine. I have all this Shindaiwa oil that says good for 1 to 40 in Shindaiwa engines. My echo trimmer and blower say use oil at 1 to 50. Can I use the same oil? At 1 to 50? Can I use it at 1 to 40, even tho the kioritz engine in the echo says 1 to 50 is all you

None of the oil has any labeling with specs on it, such as the echo manual says "ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD13738) and J.A.S.O. FC Standards". No oil has this spec labelled on it, that I've ever seen. My 1 to 100 oil which says NMMA-BIA approved. The echo manual doesn't say avoid outboard motor 2-cycle oil, like my Weed Eater Poulan manual says. I don't know why I can't use this outboard motor oil. It probably just has extra additives to help avoid salt-water corrosion of aluminum and iron-steel engine parts.

Or is just about any 2-cycle oil fine?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I cant swear to this, but i think its a different additive package because air cooled trimmers and mowers rely on the outside temp for cooling where as boat engines are water cooled and operate at a different temp range. If Im wrong some one correct me because I can learn something new every day. Far as the mix ratio, that bottle is made to mix with a gallon of fuel to make a 40:1 mix, it should smoke more than 50:1 because there is more oil. Only thing that may happen is to foul a plug or stop up an exhaust screen

3. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

The label on the NMMA-BIA oil says it's cool for 2-cycle enginies including outboard engines, power mowers, snowmobiles, motorcycle, chain saws, and grass trimmers. I don't see why Poulan Weedeater says don't use it.

4. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Err, 50 to one means less oil. 1 oz of oil per 50 oz gasoline, instead of 1 oz oil per 40 oz gasoline.

Not only may it smoke more, but it may carbon up the exhaust port sooner. Tho that isn't as bad as having earlier wear to the piston rings.

How do the crankshaft bearings get lubricated, anyway? At each end and at the connecting rod? Are they simply like "permanently" lubricated in a 2-cycle engine? I'm more familiear with 4-cycle engines, where they get lubricated by splash from the oil in the bottom of the crankcase, or even oil pumped onto the bearing under pressure, from an oil pump. OR do they depend on some gasoline-oil mix getting past the piston rings and onto the the piston pin, connecting rod bearings, and crankshaft end-bearings?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

I have some multi purpose pennzoil that says it can be used in both. I use it sometimes when im in a pinch but not often. When I was part time i used it all the time and very seldom got 2 years service from a trimmer. But I was using homeowner grade trimmers also. I went to pro equipment and I use stihl or '' No Smoke'' brand oil and now some of my 2 cycles are going into their 3rd year with no problems.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

I have some multi purpose pennzoil that says it can be used in both. I use it sometimes when im in a pinch but not often. When I was part time i used it all the time and very seldom got 2 years service from a trimmer. But I was using homeowner grade trimmers also. I went to pro equipment and I use stihl or '' No Smoke'' brand oil and now some of my 2 cycles are going into their 3rd year with no problems.

7. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Oh, I see, you said smoke MORE THAN 50 to 1, I misread it and thought you said "smoke more AT 50 to 1"

8. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Air-cooled 2-cycle snow mobiles with oil injectors seem to specify NMMA-BIA oil also, not just boat outboards, and jet-skis. Maybe it is something about being injected that requires additives to avoid injector clogging? I'm just guessing. But the oil bottles always say you can use it either for injection or mixing with fuel.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

The only thing I can think is, that the snowmobile would be operated in alot colder climate than the trimmer and maybe thats why the marine grade oil works. I really dont know just guessing lol.
    There is another website that talks about this and I cant think of it right off the top of my head, its something like bobtheoilguy some of the member s here know what it is called and there is discusion about it there also

here is the site I found it
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

10. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member