2 cycle oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazz, Mar 18, 2000.

1. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

does 2cycle oil designed for outboard boat engines work well in landscaping equipment?

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

IT DOES IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR EQUIPMENT! USE ONLY OIL SPECIFIED FOR SMALL 2-CYCLES. I ONLY USE OPTI-2,YOU'LL STILL HAVE TO CLEAN YOUR EXHAUST PORT ONCE IN A WHILE.BUT PLEASE DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE WITH OUT-BOARD OIL!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

3. Hello:<p>The 2 cycle oil used for water cooled outboard motors will ruin your air cooled 2 cycle engine.<p>There is a big difference in the types of oil for air cooled & water cooled 2 cycles.<p>The air cooled engines run a lot hotter & turns a lot higher RPM's, thus making it a entirely different oil.<p>The air cooled engines on the average, well lets say a stick edger is one of the higher reving engines. <p>In the time of 1 second, the time it takes you to say 1001, your stick edger has turned 160 RPM's, yes thats right it turns in excess of 9000 RPM's!(revolutions per minute)<p>I had a guy argue this with me & after 4 short blocks on his Echo PE 2400 stick edger he finally figured it out.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

OPTI-2 IS THE ONLY THING THAT I USE!!!! I THINK THAT IT IS THE BEST. I HAVE ABOUT 6 DIFFERENT BRANDS OF EQUIPMENT AND I USE OPTI FOR ALL OF THEM. THE SAME MIXTURE FOR ALL AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Metroman: If you have any Shindaiwa tools you better check the spec's.My power broom is 25-1.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Gene, I have Shindaiwa equipment as well as Echo, Maruyama, Stihl etc. I run the same Amsoil 100:1 in all of them with no problems in about 7 years. Some oils can be run much leaner with no adverse effect. But keep in mind, I am giving up a warranty extension by doing so, so I would not advise this to everyone :)

7. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

I just bought a Shindaiwa T230 and the dealer told me to run 50:1 two cycle oil in it made for 2 cycle air cooled equipment. He also told me to mix the oil with 89 octane gas or better. What do you do?<br>

8. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

Keith,<br>Which trimmer do you think is best. The Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Red Max?<br>

9. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Mowerup:<p> I have Shindaiwa power equip. A EB500 blower, T270 trimmer, and LE260 edger. The manuals all say to run a 40:1 mix.<p>I also have a Echo hedge trimmer, the manual says to run 50:1 for that, but I run a 40:1 mix in that as well.<p>I feel that running the 40:1 mix offers a bit more protection, even though it may smoke a bit more. Might have to clean the port a bit more, but I feel it's good insurance.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

MowerUp,<p>I haven't used all of everyone's models. I had 5 SRM 2400 Echos, they all ended up not running so well after 6 months or so. I kept buying them but I was not all that happy with'em. About 2 1/2 years ago I bought a T230 to replace a Echo. I bought it because the dealer was giving up Shindaiwa and selling them for $199. I thought I would be giving up some power, but they have as much or more than any SRM 2400 I ever had. I wish I had bought 2 or 3 at that price. They are light, have plenty of power for everyday use and they are pretty inexpensive. <p>I am not saying they are the best, but I like them, they are the best trimmer I have used in that class. The oldest one I have has needed a gas cap(I melted it with a hot muffler)one fuel filter and one spark plug.<p>My $.02 Shindaiwa, Maruyama, Stihl, Echo in that order. I haven't owned a Redmax, can't speak for em. <br>