1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2 cycle oil???????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

I was told that it does not matter which 2 cycle oil you use because they all burn the same. Is this true? So I can use the cheapest one from walmart vs the echo brand its all the same just the price changes?

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutely not!!! There are big differences in 2 cycle oil. Synthetic, non synthetic, ester oil, ect. ect. A good commercial quality synthetic oil burns cleaner and provides better lubrication especially at cold start up. Also helps prevent carbon build up. Will the cheep stuff work? Yes. Is it the best for hard everyday commercial use? No. Your equipment will last much longer and perform much better over the long run with a good quality oil. I use Stihl HP Ultra 50:1 with 89 octane gas.

3. ubirajara83

Thats what i figured i started using the walmart crap and noticed most of my stuff has been bogging down to carb build up. How much is it for the gallon of the stihl? Is it synthetic?

4. GMLC

Fully synthetic with stabilizer allready added to oil. You can buy a 6 pack and each bottle makes a gallon 50:1 for around $10.

STIHLOil_mega.jpg

5. ubirajara83

thanks for the help man.

6. ubirajara83

Does it matter if its an echo or shindaiwa product?

7. GMLC

Will work with any brand. Echo and shindaiwa most likely have thier version of synthetic oil as well.

8. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I use echo synthetic with 92 octane in all my equipment.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using Walmart oil for years now in my 2cycles and 4mixes with zero issues. I've also used synthetic,Opti2 etc. I've seen no difference,zero in longevity and performance. The synthetics smell a bit less other than that no difference and even that is minimal. So yes I think a lot of people are throwing money away on expensive synthetics.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Shindaiwa just delivered their new Red Armor 2 stroke oil. It is advertised to be the best at cleaning up deposits. I am switching from Echo to it immediately. I like the fact it is red easier to see also.