2-cycle oil ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used marine 2-cycle oil in their 2-cycle hand held equipment?? I found this stuff for $6.00 per gallon made by Citgo on the back it said its TCW-3 certified. I have been using Robin 2-cycle oil for the last few months I got a case of 48 bottles and im down to just a few left. Upon reading the label I didnt find anything that seemed to shy me away from this oil. Seing that many other 2-cycle oils said to be good for 2-cycle hand held equipment also label on the back good for ouboard motors so I figured this must be good for my equipment.

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bunton, 2 cycle oil is 2 cycle oil....As long as the mixture is right the equipment is getting the lube it needs.....IMO:drinkup:

3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

NO...all 2-cycle oil is NOT the same. Some companies such as Echo, Stihl and a few others have actual certified oils now that are blended better with additives to make your equipment last longer!!

Marine 2-cycle oil is NOT good for hand held 2-cycle product at all. It actually has some kerosine in it which is terrible for small hand held stuff!

You can get an education from your local dealer if he knows what he is talking about....spend the extra money and get good certified oil!!

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Marine 2-cycle oil is formulated to be used in a water cooled engine. Power Equipment is air cooled and often runs much hotter than it should due to build up of debris etc. Marine oil and some of the other less expensive oils will break down from the heat. I have used nothing but STihl 2-cycle oil in all of our 2 cycle equipment for almost 30 years now, and have never had a problem that could be even remotely blamed on the oil.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

DOUGAUSTREIM has it right, lubrication is a poor place to pinch pennies.
    BobR

6. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

FYI.
    For what is worth I have been the oil business for 15 years and oil are not alike, be it two, four cycle, gear lubes, etc.

Two cycle air cooled equipment should not use TC-W3 oils, it is ash-less. In air-cooled engines that are run at continuously varying speeds need a ash type oil for proper lubrication.

Even beyond that each company uses different base stock and additive packages to produce a product at a profit .
    In most situations you do "get what you pay for".

I use Opti-2, it is very clean and does protect. And now I don't have any association with the company except use their product.

In four cycle applications Synthetic is the only to go, I know I hear different from some but "I have been there and done that" over 30 years in almost every four cycle application and they work better in every way; protection, flow quality, and cleanliness!:cool: :cool: :cool:

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am not going to beat the dead horse on this one. There is a reason that there are different oils with different ratings. Good thing you asked before causing any damage to your equipment.

Gravely_Man

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you guys. I am not well informed I do know a great deal about oils and had a feeling about the water cooling affect of the motor being in the water. Was just curious on this one:D Well I went ahead and bought a 5 gallon pail of Stihl 2-cycle oil today after hearing many good things about it.

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't skimp on lube. I use Amsoil synthetic, it cost me $22 for the whole season, and no worrys.

10. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Use amsoil you will never have carb problems