1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2 cycle oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j_loppy, Jun 25, 2003.

1. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Thinking of ordering a case of 2 cycle oil. It is Quaker State smokeless oil. Any of ya'll used this? It's from Landscapers Supply. A case is $25.99 for 12, 16 oz. bottles. Is this a good deal or should I just get some from my local oil company... i.e. What the heck do most of you do?

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I heard that the synthetic 2 cycle oil is good. Personally I will use any of the premium name brand oil. I most often buy Husqvarna or Stihl buy the 6 pack that mixes with 2.5 gal for $6.00.

I use alot of mix gas and never had a problem with lubrication.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I use Amsoil and have for almost 10 years. A quart goes for about $8 and mixes with 20-25 gallons of gasoline. You can become a Preferred Amsoil Customer, or dealer and buy a case of quarts and drop the price to about 6 bucks a quart, but you may have to pay shipping. They also sell it in 8 ounce bottles for about $3 (or $2.20 if you are preferred customer) if you don't like the quarts. Of course you could just buy one of the little bottles, then refill it from quart bottles and save money :D

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i use opti 2.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run Opti-2 as well. I checked all my exhaust ports over the winter and none needed cleaning.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I know some tree guys buy it by the 5 gallon drum - much cheaper.

I get quarts. Then I buy about 5 of the 8 oz. ers. I keep the 8 oz. size in the truck to fill my 2 gallon can, then refill the little guys.

I could go with quarts, but the clear part is hard to read, and I hate measuring cups.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon - www.mdvaden.com

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

A while back Amsoil went with a grey bottle. I emailed them and complained, as I am sure others did about it being to hard to measure. They have now gone back with the clear bottle.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Amsoil. No problems, no worries.

9. I couldn't imagine running my Stihl equipment without synthetic 2-cycle. Easier starting, less smoke.

Dave

10. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I use opti 2. and amsoil