2 cycle oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kippert, May 3, 2004.

1. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

I recently bought a stihl 85 split boom...my first stihl...I have several shindiawas and they both reccomend 50:1 2 cycle oil...

But the sales person said he did not reccomend any 2 cycle oil but stihl and that if i used any other 2 cylcle oil that i should use a 40:1 ratio...

Is there any truth to that or do I actually need to have two different mixes............thank you

2. exmarkhp

exmarkhp LawnSite Member
    from Maine

You don't need two different mixes he's just trying to make a sale. Most of these companys oil like stihl, echo, husqavrna, etc all buy there oil from the same company.

There is a difference with some oils, but not a great difference. Especialy nothing worth mixing two different batchs. If you are really worried about it I would run both on either 40:1 or 45:1 and you should never have a problem.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This business about different mix ratios for this and that machine is a bunch of crap. I use Amsoil synthetic premix at 85:1 in every piece of 2-cycle equipment that I own. Do a search in this forum keyword "Amsoil" and see what I mean.

4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I will agree that it sounds as if the dealer just wants to make a sale.

I use only use Stihl 2 cycle oil by choice and not due to some dealers pressure.

A word about Amsoil. Best check with your equipments dealer before using it. The dealers here that do not sale it will not do warranty work on equipment that Amsoil is ran in. They will charge you for repairs and leave it up to you to recope the cost from Amsoil. "Amsoil says that it is ok to use an oil mix at 100:1 ratios, The manufactor does not."

The only thing that you do not want to do. Is use oil formulated for out board or water cooled engines. Such as Pennzoil TCW3. That work fine the cooler running water cooled engines. But are not good for air cooled machines.

5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I agree I use Opti2 in every 2 stroker I got , from trimmers to Lawnboys.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, me too. Never had a failure. A Stihl FS 85 with around 3000 hours on it and still running strong.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I mix Amsoil at 50 to 1 per manufacture spec and do not have to decoke exhaust ports [very good benifit].

8. rrp0968

rrp0968 LawnSite Member

When I bought my Shindaiwa......the salesperson told me to run it at 40:1 rather than the 50:1 the book says to do. He told me that the engine would run a bit cooler. What do you guys think?

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

rrp0968> That is odd, I was told it was the other way around. At the Stihl Up Date School the instructor told us that the fuel cooled the engine and if you put more more in the mix the engine would run hotter. They did a test with a temp probe in a chain saw. They ran a 50:1 and them 40:1 mix. The temp probe did show a cooler saw at the 50:1 mix. Who knows for sure? Get a load of this now. My neighbor up on the hill has an old Homelite that he has being running 30w motor oil instead of 2 cycle mix at 16:1 for over 30 years and that old blue saw still runs. I thank it may be an EPA thing to some degree. I have heard of 100:1 engines and even higher. They will keep up until they find a way to run a 2 cycle engine on straight gas and do away with mix altogether. Which is OK by me it will mean just one least thing I have to buy.

10. martinw

martinw LawnSite Member

ONLY use a good quality oil (not the warren cr@p or the like. I personally use a synthic no smoke multi ratio mix (similiar to Amsoil) one pouch to a gallon and you can use it in ALL the equipment (no mater if it is 25 t0 one or 100 to one).