2 Cycle powered back pack SPRAYER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Aug 19, 2001.

1. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Here's one for ya, went to a tag sale today with the wife. So while she's lookin at her things, I, like any other red blooded man would do, wandered over to the TOOL section. Sitting under the table, in a plain ol' box box, never used, was a TANAKA TMS-450 gas powered backpack sprayer, Well here is the best part...when I asked the "OLDER" lady running the tag sale she said $25.00----WELL, I couldn't get my wallat out of my wifes hands fast enough! Bought it, put it in the truck, ITS MINE!--So my question is what can I use it for? Since it came without an owners manual I'm up the creek without a paddle. The only reason I bought it was because it was NEW and only $25.00! Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I can't think of any use you could possibly have for that sprayer. How about if I do you a favor and take it off your hands?

3. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Nice try Lee, Nice try.......

4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Well, at least I tried. Do you spray any round-up or other herbicides? I believe your sprayer would work great for spraying round-up, my baqck-pack sprayer is a manual pump, put out 3 or 4 tank-fulls and your left arm gets a little tired. I have a bigger sprayer with a electric pump, but it's not nearly as handy. I believe you'll find some uses for yours, if not go back to my previous post.

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Great deal!!!!!!! I've usually seen people use those to spray trees and large areas.If the manual was in the box, you should be able to buy misting attachments and extensions to reach trees.Hope this helps.:p

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can always send for a manual, or find a dealer near you that carries Tanaka, and have him order you one. Did you try finding a website? You may be able to download one.

7. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I use tanaka equipment almost exclusively, I was unaware that they made an actual sprayer. I do know of a mister/duster type sprayer model # TMS-450. I have one of these. They can mist with any liquid type herb or pest, and can dust with dry chems. Very nice if you are dealing with small areas, about 12500 sqft or trees and shrubs.

8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't say wether this blows air and spray mist or just pumps a stream of water like a hand pump sprayer.

9. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I am sorry, I thought I made myself clear; this blowers is a mister/duster - similer to a fogging system. It uses air to spread material, not a stream of liquid, rather, a fog of either liquid or dry chems. It is not for putting herb or fert down on lawns. It is great for small gardens, crops, shrubs, trees with the right attachments, etc. You load a hopper at the top, that sits above a blower unit similer to the backpack blowers we all use (most), and yes, this is also a backpack unit.

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a similar unit from RedMax. Great for insect and disease control in shrubs and trees to maybe 18'. Have also used it for fungicide in lawns. I mix at least a 3x concentrate and spray enough to thoroughly mist/dampen foliage. Do not spray till run off when mixing like this or you will be overdosing.

Excellent tool to have. I have a $75 min. One tank, 15 minutes and a few pennies or dollars of material will do a lot of stuff. Do some trial runs with water to see how much you can spray on a tank and observe the wetness. I think you'll be happy.