2 cycle problems..heat? Fuel? Oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by br549oicu8, Apr 18, 2006.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have used Echo for 20 years. Last year we started having problems with our 2 cycle stuff once it started getting hot outside. We use premium fuel as suggested by the manufacturer and have been using the Opti-Oil which seems to have worked well.
    Any others having issues?? We are going to try a different gas station next...
    This problem is affecting both the trimmers and the blowers..

Thanks...

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try keeping your stuff out of the heat, direct sunlight might be causing some type of vapor lock, forgot how it works but I know it used to be common on carbureted cars. I usually put a light-colored tarp over most of my equipment which also keeps it dry when it rains. Before you implement this, remember the muffler is HOT and can burn tarps.

It's odd you mention this because my 4-year old Echo starts easier on cold days when it's been sitting in the sun lol !

There is one other thing I've noticed on all 2-cycle equipment (stihl, echo, doesn't matter):
    Whenever I've ran a tool to where it's hot and I shut it down, if it cools to a certain point it will NOT start. Somedays the timeframe is 5-10 minutes and other days it has to sit for 15-20 minutes or so, has to do with outside temp and you can feel the motor is kinda lukewarm and for some reason all my stuff I have ever bought does this. It is one reason why, once I start something I try to make sure whatever it is I'm doing, I can finish in one sitting before I switch to another machine because it doesn't happen a lot, but when it happens the only thing you can do is wait (it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes) basically the machine has to cool off completely at this point before it will start again. Even thou this doesn't happen a lot, it appears that when it does start to happen, it will happen consistently as it has something to do with your routine (setting something down and off, then picking it up x-minutes later) and when it does this crap it is very frustrating. Best I can recommend is change the way you run stuff like I said, when you start something, finish whatever you're doing with it in one sitting, that's the best solution I've found, other than once it cools off some, cover it with a light-colored tarp.

3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I had the same kind of problems with an Echo blower last summer, I was putting it in the back of my truck, black bedliner, in between jobs. The thing wouldn't work after being back there for any amount of time. I ended up finding a good place on my trailer for it and never had the problem again. I think it had to do with the heat. JMO

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

We had a stinking hot summer this year and both my Kawasaki trimmer and especially the Stihl BG85 blower were absolute buggers to get started.
    I agree with Topsites, It was definately the heat from the sun for me.

Keep everything in as much shade as possible and you should be right. If possible (routine), when you get to a job, put ya blower and trimmer in the shade somewhere so they cool while your mowing.
    Also, Ive heard of people hosing down there stuff to cool it off, if they didnt have time to wait.

If your season is anything like what we just went through, good luck!

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's the gas people. They are putting so much alcohol in the new blends that it is leaning the real fuel out and overheating our equipment. Here in MD we have been using reformulated fuels for years and we've been having problems like these for almost as long. The only thing we've been able to do is fatten the mixture back up by using less oil like the 80:1 mixes you can use with Amsoil.

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

You are right about leaning out. I race RC cars when i have time... Two strokes are very sensitive to temp. humidity, and fuel mixtures. Try to see what temp. you are having the problem at and adjust. I use the temp gun Raytech and love it.
    Good luck..