2 Cycle Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

My wife thought she was doing me a huge favor today and was going to cut the grass. She backed my 52" cut mower out of the shed and checked the gas. She saw that it was only half full, so she grabbed the gas can off the trailer and filled it up.

Here is the question. The mower tank is about 3 gallons and she filled it with 2 cycle gas (50:1). So it has 1 1/2 gallons of regular and 1 1/2 gallons of two cycle or there about. When my son realized what had happen he told her not to start the mower.

Will the 2 cycle hurt the engine or just make it smoke alot?

Should I drain the tank or just cut with it?

Thanks for the help,

2. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Draining the tank would be the sensible idea. Especialy if it hasn't been run on it yet. :dizzy:

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Drain it. It will burn the oil and will smoke like crazy. It will also gum up your fuel system. It's only 3 gallons of gas. Better paying for that than paying for parts.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

run it. you wont have any problems. helps if youre running real hard all day when its hot or if your mower uses a bit of oil. doesnt smoke or anything. never done it to an efi, but no probs from carbs

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is the engine EFI? If not, I would just top off the tank with regular fuel and run it. I did that once to a mower that ran out of gas at the end of the day. I logged over 2k hours on that engine without any problems. I doubt yours will smoke,mine didn't. I did have a 2 cycle exhaust smell when warming up with the choke on, otherwise I could not tell.

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Run it because it won't hurt anything.

For more than 20 years we have used mixed gas in everything we have sold and serviced. Every piece of equipment that comes out of our sales department or service department has 50:1 in it and we have never had a problem.

A lot of LCOs never allow straight gas on their equipment trailers.

Oldtimer

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

It won't gum up... run it.

I heard before that its actually good for an engine to run a mix during break-in. I don't know for a fact, however.

8. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Had a new employee do that just over a month ago filled up 5 gallons in one tank. He ran it dry the same day he filled it it runs good it smoked a little but It seems to start up better in the mornings since it been cool here at night dosen't take much choke to get it started. The mower has over 300 hrs on it. I not worried about it. I don't think it will hurt but you might need to change the fuel filter a little early after you run it. I noticed I had to change mine 2 weeks after this happen and it wasn't schedueled for at least 25 more hours. I change mine ever 75-100 hrs. I know some say every 25-50 hrs but the last time I changed the fuel filter was spring on every piece we own. We use different mowers cobinations every day of the week. because of the size of our accounts. One day it might be all 2-5 acres accounts. then another day it might be 1-2 acres accounts. then another day less than an acre. Then the other 2 days it all walk behinds and 21" s. 1-2 we use 52- 44- and maybe a 60 . 2-5 60- 72 - 72 . 44- 48- and a 21" on the smaller properties.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

we have run 2-stroke through the push mowers for years and they all stil work with no special fuel treatment needed!....we only carry 2 stroke fuel on the trailer so that the workers dont seize up any handheld equipment. In that case if a big mower ever runs out we run and get the 2-cycle gas can and top her off.....NEVER had any problems no smoking no gumming up or anything. The ratio of 50-1 or even 32-1 isnt thick enough to even worrry about. Maybe if you are running 20-1 or 13-1 I would worry but I havent seen oil ratios like that in a long time.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would running mixed fuel cause a fuel filter to need changing?

If that was the case we would have a hard time keeping 2 stroke equipment running what with the frequent fuel filter changes.

Think it through.

Mixed fuel doesn't make any difference except for the 2 octane points you lose and with today's sorry fuel who can tell.

Oldtimer