2 cycle Storage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Nov 25, 2002.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Select a dry place for storing your 2 Cycle Tools.

Drain gas from tank by pulling the fuel line off the gas valve.

Start engine and let it run out of gas completely.

Remove spark plug and squirt a few drops of 2-cycle engine oil into the cylinder to prevent the piston from seizing or varnish form forming when gas evaporates.

Spray all cable connections, joints, hinges, levers and the chain lightly with WD 40 or equivalent oil.

I have done this since I bought my first gas trimmer and have had no problems with it for the last 6 years.

Ron

2. bommaritro

Can you move this post under Winterizing ALL of our equipment thread.

Thanks,
    Ron

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I just did this with some of equipment this past weekend. This of course means that I will now need to use my "stored" equipment before the season is over. Some other ideas for weed eaters is to clean out the gear box and repack with new grease and regrease the shaft, clean the spark arrestor, remove the muffler and clean out the exhaust port to remove carbon build up. Can you tell what pieces of equipment I was working on? Check the pull cord and replace if needed.

Gravely_Man

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ron,

Do you have problems with seals drying out in the carb or problems with priming the unit in the spring?

I did it the way you do for years but I had some carbs go bad due to dry rotted seals. Plus it takes about 20 minutes to get it primed in the spring (even with the priming bulb).
    This year I will add fuel stabilizer to the fuel, and run it long enough to get the stabilizer into the carb. Then I will put some marvel mystery oil into the cylinder and pull it over a few times.

In the spring I will drain the gas tank and put new fuel into the tank. I do this because the oil mix breaks down in a few months time.

Jim

5. bommaritro

Jimbo,

I never have had any problems with seals drying out due to this storage method.

The one trick that I found when strating it up in the spring is flush the carb with fresh gas to clean out the oil(Less smoking when starting it up). I then put some mixed gas in the carb and in the tank hit the primer a few time then let her rip.

If it is taking 20 min to prime my guess is that you may have some blockage in the fuel line possible due to build up from the old 2 cycle fuel that evaporated over the winter.

You may run into the same thing with your new method though. Let me know how it works.

Ron

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ron,

I think the problem with priming is that it has to vacumme out all the air before it starts drawing gas into the carb. You would probably have the same problem if you didnt put gas directly into the carb.

I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Jim