1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 cycles and emissions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A.D Services, Nov 10, 2006.

1. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

i know this is an old subject(i think) but a while ago i heard they will no longer be producing 2 cycle engines because of emisions. why did this never happen? and i did notice manufactures are using four mix engines
  2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The simple answer is because low emission 2-cycle engines can meet both the EPA Phase 2 and C.A.R.B. Tier II final standard on their own. Other manufacturers use 4-cycle engines to generate credits that enable them to sell their non-compliant two-stroke products.

100% 2-stroke companies - Tanaka, Echo, Redmax

Mix companies (2 and 4 stroke) - Stihl, Shindaiwa

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

This whole "emissions" thing is a scam anyway! I've see diesel trucks that pour out enough crap from ONE STOP LIGHT to make up for a THOUSAND 2 stroke trimmers/edgers/hedgers running all damn day! Just another way to tax somebody!
  4. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

yea im with ya all the way. hey tanaka-man could you tell me what a four mix is.btw love your products
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So Echo has some 4-cycle engines that gets them credit? Their sales pitch says they continue to meet the emission standards, is that wrong?
  6. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Mark clearly states that Echo is a 100 percent 2 cycle company. Echo has very clean burning 2 cycle engines like RedMax and Tanaka.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The next round of EPA and CARB compliance will signal the end of 2 strokes completely. Quite frankly I think CARB is astounded that anybody even met CARB Tier II with a 2 stroke. Enjoy your 2 strokes now fellas, they will be gone within 10 years.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Echo may be 100% 2 stroke but clean they are not. Under current CARB Tier II rules none of the Echo line may be sold in California. Add to the Echos some models from Kawasaki, Husqvarna and apparently Tanaka.

Here is a website that has been around a long time. You can click on the various models of trimmers, chainsaws etc that they sell and it will tell you on some of them that they can't be shipped to California.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well they have 2 stroke outboards that burn cleaner than 4 strokes so I wouldn't say they are dead yet. But maybe.
  10. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Na. They will never be dead. When is the last time an "Officer in Blue" stopped and asked if you were using a 2 or 4 stroke?