2 employees as compared to 4?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mike84, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Mike84

Mike84 LawnSite Member

Hey i was jst looking for some feed back on an idea i had.

I currently have me and another worker working on residential accounts. They arent too big, small lots, get each home done in about 20mins. Iam getting a lot of calls from neighbours and was wondering if my company gets big enough. Would it be better to save on new equipment cost and a new truck and jst hire two more guys to work on a job at a time. Will this increase productivity? Lets say two guys mowing, one mowing front one back. and two guys trimming and whoevers done first blows?
    What do you guys think about this idea rather then me going out spending a whole lot on whole new equipment and truck?

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think 4 guys on a lot that takes 2 guys 20 minutes to do is going to be a waste of labor for you. Seems to me you may get done in maybe say 14 minutes or so now. So before you had 40 man minutes to pay, and now with 4 guys you'll have 56, so you'd actually be losing 16 minutes of pay.
    Just an estimate, but this is how I'd feel. I'd rather set up two crews of two, therefore you'd still have each crew doing the lawns in 20 minutes each, but then you'd get twice as much done, so more money by volume.
    This is all speculation, but thought I'd throw it out there for you.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I tried 3 guys before compared to 2 and it was a waste of time, at least someone was always standing around waiting. I would suggest to try 3 employees before making the job to 4.

Or it actually make cost you the same to get another setup going for another 2 man crew compared to the 4 working together

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You need large props to substantiate more that 2 guys on a crew. I currently run a 3 man crew 5 days and a 2 man crew 5 days a week for just mowing. Then there is me and 1 full time guy and a part time guy doing landscaping 5 days a week as well.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

4-man crew is way too much think of the drive time costs when they all are on the clock doing nothing. I prefer 2 men crews but will use 3 man crews when I am behind what I have found is if the guys are all elite then a 3 man crew is awesome but if 2 are good and one is a newbie who's still in his first season. Then there is little to show for the 3rd guy other then covering his pay and maybe enough left over to buy you lunch afterwards.

Also a good trimmer guy can keep up with 2 men on mowers at least thatÂ’s how I gage them when they are good. I don't see you needing 2 trimmer guys for 2 mowers if anything your current guy is to slow. What I have seen is they will slow down to your pace so if your only running one mower that is how fast the guy will work just enough to keep up with one mower. Try to challenge them and your be surprised how much more efficient they can work.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i think four is WAY to much. I was solo until this week...Our produuctivity increased nearly 80% this week just adding the second guy. I dont think we would go up but another 10/15% with a third then maybe 5%with a 4th guy.

Trevor

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

3 men isnt that bad for a crew of lawns around here. We have minimum of 2 houses at every stop, or withing .5 miles away from eachother. One gets on the 21, and does where the 52 cant. The wb does around the perimeter first so the 3rd guy, the weedwhacker can start edging. When the 21" finishes, he loads up the trailer and waits for the wb before putting up the tailgate. Then he grabs the blower and blows everything off. It works faster than a 2 man crew and every lawn is done within 20 minutes. Sometimes 10 or less.

8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

3 man mowing crews work well for us most days. 1 or 2 days a week I will run a 4 man crew and add an additional 10 lawns to the schedule. A 4 man crew can really get lots of lawns done in one day, but they need to be the higher priced lawns or you will not make much more than a three man crew.

We don't keep employees around long if they aren't pulling their weight. A well oiled machine will have everyone finishing up at the same time, then it's off to the next lawn.