2" filter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Trouthead, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I get my water from an irrigation ditch located uphill from my subdivision. We have a sealed system that supplies us with raw water for lawn sprinkling at 40 lbs of pressure.

I have never filtered this water but use very large brass twist in sprinkler heads 3/4 and 1/2 with the restrictors removed. I move a lot of water but I waste a lot too. I would like to water with the restrictors in place, but need a filter

The water is supplied to my in ground system through a 2 inch schedule 40 pipe and valve. Any ideas about reasonably priced 2 inch filters that clean easily. the water has lots of debris at various times including snakes which I have pulled out of the sprinkler heads.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Get a Rusco Spin down strainer.

[​IMG]

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How many snakes will fit in that strainer Jon? :laugh:

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

They have a special snake removal valve in the bottom.

I'd rather pull the bowl off and dump out a snake or two than pick them out of heads lol.

5. Trouthead

from Wyoming

The snakes were at least dead. Not rattlesnakes, just garter snakes.

thanks for the info.

6. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Thinking I might have know best i ordered a Rusco Spin Down Filter in the sediment trapper style, (basically a smaller filtering area with space for debris) On bad advice from another site, I orderd a 140 mesh filter.

It would filter for about 1 minute before plugging. So.... I ordered a 30 mesh sediment trapper filter insert. It would be good for less than an hour. So I emailed the supplier about the problem asking if the regular spin down filter with more surface might work better, they said no and suggested an automatic flush system for apporx $300.00. I decided to go ahead with the spin down type in 30 mesh and that helped but I would still plug up in about 2-4 hours.

I ended up emailing RUSCO. They suggested I stay with the spin down type and they offered to send me (FREE) two specially made filters. One in 24 mesh and the other in 12 mesh.

The 24 mesh is working beautifully getting at least 12 hours of filtering before it is too plugged to pass water. I haven't tried the 12 mesh, but will today.

RUSCO was great to deal with while the supplier (name available on request) was next to worthless.

Organic material in the water is difficult to deal with and does not flush well when the flush valve is opened with any of the various mesh sizes. The best part is I have not had a single head plug up due to organic material in better than 6 weeks.

Also switched out some heads to K-Rain Prosports. I really like them.

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

1st mistake - you might have, but never admit it here without wearing a flameproof suit!:laugh:

Name of supplier hereby requested.

Thought about installing a cistern? The organics would settle out, then all you'd have to worry about is occasionally pumping it out.

Oh God, make it stop...

8. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Freshwater Systems.

A cistern will not work unless I want to add an electric pump. As it is now we have 40 pounds of pressure in a sealed piped system that generates the pressure from the drop from our point of diversion to the subdivision. Works great to have pressure from gravity.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Looks like a possible solution, but I couldn't find the cost. My guess is in the $500.00 range. It does look like the two filter inserts RUSCO gave me to try are going to work. Hope it keeps my sprinkler heads from wearing out so fast.