2 foot side on a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IXINRGIXI, Jul 20, 2011.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you the double axles hold more weight but because there's no differential
    you will also go through a lot more tires, unfortunately the largest single axle
    I would recommend is a 12 foot but I'm in my 10th year and on my 4th set of tires.

Tires run you $80-$100 each.
    Just something else you'll need to consider.

2. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

thanks you for the input really appreciate it..
    but i already have a 14 single axle and im kinda set on a tandem because of the weight they can hold... some of my yards do 7-10 yard os mulch and a single cant take it and i dont want to over load it

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What you're also gonna love is trailer brakes (if you don't already have them).

If I were doing it all over again, I'd get the 16'er. I cant get my ATV on the 14'er with the WB in front without turning the WB sideways. That's a PITA (due to how I have my trailer configured). I can't get my ATV and my ZTR on there, together (and, my trailer is 6'4" wide, inside dimension.

Just starting out, I was concerned with costs. Now, that thought seems foolish (considering the small amount of difference between the two trailers).

Good luck.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

14' is just a tease, get the 16'.

I've got a 12x6.5 with 4' sides right now and I can tell you this, the next trailer will be at least 18' with possible a dovetail. And like moewrbrad, the front half is going to have high sides and I'm going to taper them down at the rear to 2 feet.

5. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my first trailer (6x12), I never imagined I'd need anything bigger.

Bought a 7x16 enclosed this last year, and already wishing I had gotten bigger.

If you are on the fence between two sizes....just get the bigger one, suck up the extra cost and 5 years from now, look back and remember how smart you were for getting the bigger trailer.

6. HISnHERS

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are serious about growing your business id go for at least a 16'er that has an ideal combination of high load capacity with a light empty weight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

ya i defiantly getting trailer breaks without a doubt but it seem you guys are saying 16' is wayyyyy better

again thanks for your guys opinions really appreciate it

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen that good of tires on a trailer even when they were new. This is a good buy which we was closer.

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wanting to get another 12' with 1' or 2' sides just to haul brush and stuff on. Haven't decided yet.I am very happy with the 6'4"X12 dovetail that I use to haul my mowers.Going any bigger with a long bedded truck will cause me issues with parking and turning around in subdivisions.Besides my V-6 is already pulling hard with what I have.