1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 full 5 gallon gas cans stollen right off my truck!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KCfireman, Apr 23, 2008.

1. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing down in kansas city kansas and anybody that lives in the KC metro area knows that kck is a bad place to be in. I was in the back finishing up with mowing around trees with the encore. I was walking up to put all my mowers on the trailer when i noticed that both gas cans were missing. they stole them in a matter of minutes. Backyards in kck are small. I hadnt been back there more than 3 minutes. I guess im lucky that they did take my stihl blower and 2 stihl FS90 trimmers. Has anybody had this happen to them?????
  2. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I never leave equipment out-of-sight unlocked. No matter how safe the street is, it's easier to use a $4 lock than buy a new $400 worth of equipment
  3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Never trust anyone. Just wait til Gasoline hits $4 or $5, the thefts will really be up then.
  4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry to here bout that.this may need to be moved to the stolen property forum
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I put a bike lock through the handles on the cans and then through a bed loop on the truck. It won't stop a determined thief but it will stop the opportunity thieves.
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

With gas prices on the rise it won't be long before people start siphoning gas from tanks. May be time for some of us to go to locking gas caps.
  7. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Folks would siphon/steal gas from ya way back when it was thirty cents a gallon!!!!!

Here's how I do it---of course, as a solo operator

I buy just enough gas for the day-----usually----$20.00 worth will carry me through the day---early in the morning on the way to my first job of the day----I then fill up the Z and then my Weed Wacker/Blower gas/oil can and have just enough for a couple of fill ups for my 21"

So if the cheap chumps drive by and see red gas cans in back of my truck while I'm in the back yard mowing---there ain't much in the cans for them to steal
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing stolen yet but with those full cans being worth $50 bucks a pop or better I am thinking of locking them up. Sorry you got picked, hopefully the bastards will light themselves on fire.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

One of the guys on here kept having gas cans stolen...he decided to fill them with water and leave them out, water looks similar to gas, smells the same and if a little gas is in the jug and really teaches the thief a lesson if he puts it in his car.
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fiberglass type painted to match shell on my bed that locks. I like it becuase you can't see in the bed, and it locks as well. The lock maybe easy to rip off, but a lot of times what they can't see the don't want.