1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 guys to do 14 acres is rediculous

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Sep 17, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we have a 124 patio home association that takes 3 guys all day 11-12 hrs to do we lost our best 2 mowing guys to college now so we hired a virgin to the workforce literally his 1st job ever and hes doing fine but the boss sends just the 2 of us to do all of this 14 acre complex and im furious :realmad: were there over the course of 2 1/4 days and the people there are not happy cause they don't want to hear mower running for 2 days he sends other would be mowers to aerate or seed ect. Thats mow, trim, and blow around 114 patio homes and not to mention the sidewalks and other obstacles that need trimming.When i confront him about this i get a bunch of mangment jibber jabber. He doesnt mow or do any of the labor he just crunches numbers.
    would anyone here ever send 2 guys or even bid this with only 2.
    im ranting a little but this isnt the 1st time it happens quite a bit......next yr its time to go on my own and enough of this :angry:
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I send 2 guys to do up to 140 acres a week. :)
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats alot of stuff to cut with 2 ppl...I think your boss is a little money hungry.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think you ought to send in the troops, with 124 lots or 140 acres you gotta send in about 75 trucks, hire about a dozen temps as flag wavers to deal with the traffic and block off all surrounding motorways then you move in unison: First ALL the guys unload the mowers and start them all at the count of 3, then cut and make sure to stay synchronized because you don't want some guys weed-eating while some are still cutting, that looks bad. Ok so once you're done cutting, same thing: Mowers back on the trailers all at the same time, then start your trimmers and zoom around, time is of the essence, really if you do it right, you should be able to get it all done in an hour, with an average income of ~$25/acre that's 3,500 dollars and you got a crew of 150 or so, hmmm, after cost that leaves them with 875 dollars to split at 25 percent labor, that's $5.83 / hour each and everybody is happy.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Dog gone it! So THAT'S how it's done! :)

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

OK, I did all that, now where do I park the trucks??
  7. JTW

JTW LawnSite Member

I would prolly send 7 guys. 3 mowers and 4 guys to do a nice job trimming and edging.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with this situation is your quality goes way down when you work that many hours. Your boss will end up losing the account, if not for quality then for being on the property when people are at home trying to relax.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Jokes aside, it is a good point when you work TOO much (or TOO long) on one prop you get to the point you just can't take it anymore and all you can think of is WHEN is it EVER going to END and then all that gets done is basically do what you gotta do to get the f*k outta there, and that is bad.
    I think the fellow who said send in 7 guys had it pretty close, not knowing much about these large props myself thou I have watched 4 guys on a 1-acre lot and that's just as much of a waste, there is a good number for every job and that number is right about where you can get done in 2-4 hours, anymore time than 4 hours and it starts to drag bad, I think.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

14 acres on what type of mowers. if you can ride 52 -60 ZTR's in there, the mowing should be done in 4-6 hours (with one guy mowing).

You are saying 26 man hours to mow, edge, line trim and blow a 14 acre appt complex. And I am assumming you mean 14 acres of turf. Without seeing the property, I think that is plenty of time.

I used to work on a crew that with 5 guys it took 4-5 hours (25 man hours max) to do 138 z-lot properties on 18+ acres of turf. With 3 guys it took 9 hours (27 man hours).