2 hedges that are like 25ft high!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jul 16, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I have a regular customer that has 2 cedar balls that are like 25ft high.

Her husband already trimmed everything and he's 6'3 and used an extended hedge trimmer but didnt have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment.

So I said sure, I'll do it for $100 with my partner. It will only take us like 15mins, all I gotta do is just trim the tops of these global cedars.

Now, problem is this..

I only have a 10ft orchard ladder and use an articulating hedge trimmer.

I need to rent a ladder, but I'm not sure what to rent? can I rent one of those extension ladders that lean against the shrub? or should I rent a 16ft orchard ladder if its avail?

What would you guys do?
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Anything over 10' tall, I handle this way:

"Lemme give you the number to the tree guy I use..."

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How much will it cost to rent the ladder and how much time to go get it and bring it back. My feeling is you are to low on the bid.
    The last thing you want to do is hurt the shrub so I would get a "step" ladder. Nations Rent has a 14' for 4 hour at $13.00. That is U.S. but I think a 16 or 18 would be better. Don't know how much that is. hope this helps.
  4. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

call the fire deptartment:blob2:
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

rent a forklift, and get an empty pallet to stand on, up and down and around you go.

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Rule number one --- if it needs a ladder, you need find some one else. Heights = bad. I will use a 10 foot extension ladder on those very very few occasions, but as far as bush trimming goes Im more of a bush chopper than a trimmer - i suck.
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

1)Get a 20' or 25' extension ladder.
    2)Bolt a 6' - 8' 2 x4 to the top.
    3)Extend the ladder and lean the 2x4 against the top of the hedge just below where you will be trimming it to.
    4)Trim the hedge
    5)Enjoy the money you've just made
  8. alpine692003

Thanks BCSTEEl, thats a good idea..

I dont have the money to buy the ladder right now, i'll have to rent it @ home depot..

Extension ladder is the ladder where you lean it against something? ie) a wall or hedge?
  9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it needs something to rest on.
  10. alpine692003

Okay, well this extension ladder can lean against the shrub then. I'll have to climb into the neighbours and use their yard to lean the ladder against the cedar and trim the tops.

BCSTEEL : when you say bolt the wooden plank you mean lay it on top of the ladder sideways like this?

================== <-- wooden boards
    ||| <--ladder

:eek: :eek: :eek: