2 Hours later

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tiedeman, Mar 25, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, every spring I check the lights and wiring on the trailer and once again this spring I had a problem. So I ended up replacing my wiring hook up running off from the truck, and replaced my lights (not the wiring) on the trailer. Works great now. I just wish I didn't have to go through this every spring.

Anybody have some suggestions on what to do to keep me from doing this every spring?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I take my wire harness off the truck every winter keeps it from corrodeing.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I got the marine trailer light to haven't replaced a bulb in 3 years.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I switched the tail lights over to a sealed beam, they are mounted in silicone to absorb shock and they are sealed to keep moisture out, works good , and I have heard alot good about LED's, but they are $$$$$

5. tiedeman

from earth

never thought of that before. Would save me $26 each time

6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Put dielectric grease on your plugins, liquid tape or heatshrink tube on all the connections. I just ordered a new 18 footer and spec. it with all sealed beam l.e.d.s, cost 150 extra. I hope the will last.

7. tiedeman

from earth

thanks for the info wanabe, I already grease the heck out of them with the dielectric

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree it is an annual ritual, trailer lights. My time is usually longer than two hours. I just replaced the trailer plug on Tuesday, and replaced connects near the lights. My connection to my pickup is a simple flat 4-way, and they don't last very long either. In the last case, one of the three male pins on the trailer side was pushed into the connecter enough it wasn't making good contact with the female connector on the pickup side.

My bulbs only last a couple of months, but the fixtures are cheap. Thanks for the tip on diaelectric grease. That sounds like an excellent idea.

Trailer lights -- so frustrating!!!!

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Tiedman, I do the same thing every year. Wind up replacing just about the whole wiring system, takes about 2 hours.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have at least 12 trailers that I use and the lights are always a pain. I have most of them rubber mounted and sealed beams and yesterday when I hooked up to one of the 16' and the left blinker doesn't work. My boys hooked up to a 10' and everything but the brake lights work. I really hate lights. I have a set of the magnetic ones to use if I have to.