2 HP B&S hard starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

My grandfather's edger, which will soon be mine, has a 2 HP briggs that starts hard when cold. I have faced this problem for who knows how long. Before i start it, i check to make sure it's choking all the way, then i check the plug to see if it's clean, then i keep trying till it starts. eventually it will start to pop, then i move the trottle to the middle, and it starts. it's got good compression, plug is clean, it does not use a lot of oil or gas. If anyone has any tips, please tell me.(i need a repair manual!)

2. justractors

justractors LawnSite Member

Robert,
    I would start with a full blown tune-up including removing the head and decarbonizing it and the valves.
    Then while the head is off pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance and adjust if necessary.
    Move onto replacing the points and condensor and then adjusting the point gap to get the timing correct. While the starter clutch is off service it also. Also lube the recoil pulley and spring at this point. Check the rope for frays as well.
    Reasssemble the engine insuring the cooling fins and blower housing are all cleaned up.
    Last step is to clean the air filter then adjust the carb after the engine has started and warmed up. Once the engine is warmed up change the engine oil to complete the job.
    Bill

3. Robert Doubrava

I have not done all of those things but i have done some. i've messed with the carb. and air cleaner. i have a ignition kit i bought for it, but have never had time to put it on. and i will have to wait a while before i can overhaul it in my spare time.:eek:

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

4 or 2 cycle??

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6. Robert Doubrava

it's a four cycle. recoil start. side valve gasoline engine. enough facts, guy?:D anyway, i can get one at the local repair shop or a hardware store. very cheep.

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Chilton's has a repair book that covers most small engines from 1.5 hp to 20 hp. It's covers all the basics and other more major repairs. It is a good reference book for many different brands of motors and is much cheaper than buying many different OEM service manuals. It is not as good as OEM manuals, but will be a good book to buy to help you in your endevors.

8. justractors

justractors LawnSite Member

Robert,
    Many small engine repair shops sell the same one Richard gave you the web site address for.
    They sell it for $13.95 at the web site.
    I sold them for $15.00 at my shop.
    Another possible solution would be to check at the local library since they carry many repair manuals there.
    And by the way a through by the book tune-up is not the same as an overhaul.
    Bill

9. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Chilton's suck pond scum. They leave out way too many important details.

10. Robert Doubrava

Guess, what? I had the chance to work on it today and all it neede was a simple carb. adjustment to get it goin'!!! ;)