2 HP B&S hard starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Nov 19, 2001.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i am going to say it needed to be adjusted out some

2. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

yep. that engine is over 30 years old and it's been through some rough times. i had thought that it needed to be adjusted because it was running very badly.

3. vipermanz

30? dang, and it's still running (better now);)

4. Robert Doubrava

Oh yeah. Them B&S engines keep runnin' strong all the time, with a few carb adjustments, that is!!!:D

5. Robert Doubrava

My grandfather's beloved Toro push mower is gonnd bite the dust. That thing is knockin' bad. And talk about smoke, that engine is turning into a mosquito fogger!!It's a 3.5 B&S with a vertical pull starter. Here is a picture of one close to it. only his does not have PTO.
    www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=110988

6. justractors

justractors LawnSite Member

Robert,
    Seems like an ace B&S Mechanic like your self could just overhaul that old engine and get her running like a top again.
    Bill

7. Robert Doubrava

It's not worth it. The whole mower is falling apart, and he still has that edger and rider just waiting to be cranked up. And the self-propelled drive on it is shot, and If I do end up fixin' it, I'll just buy a new engine!!:blob3: :blob3: But I could possibly overhaul it sometime.

8. vipermanz

maybe he should get a lawnboy;) (you)

9. Robert Doubrava

Naw. I don't think so. My cousin has a Lawnboy, and he said it's been nothing but trouble to him. He said that it is not worth it.

10. justractors

justractors LawnSite Member

Robert,
    You continue to suprise me with your abilities.
    When I first came on this site you were just a 14 year old youngster and in the couple of months I have been here you have became not only a B&S Engine Mechanic but now the owner of Robert's Lawn Mowing Service.
    Pretty soon I guess George and Dick will be turning over their duties to you.
    My hats off to you, you are rapidly becoming a legend in your own mind.
    Good luck in the future and if my daughters weren't too old for you I would try to hook one of them up with you.
    Bill