1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

!/2 HP Blade Grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Do this grinders have enough power to sharpen 3 sets of blades , two to three times per week ? I have been using a angle grinder for years but have been considering purchasing the rbg 2181 which gives you the ability to sharpen up to a 9 1/2 in. depth . I'am not looking to spend $ 1000 on a magnamatic and want to get away from the angle grinder . Thanks Scott.

2. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

Magnamatic 9000 is 624 shipped from McHenry Power (eBay), I've bought a lot from them and they're great. 3\4 HP. Phenomenal machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

The RBG has more than enough power to sharpen blades. I've used one for about 8 years now. I can sharpen a blade in about 90 seconds. I'm still on my original wheel.

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I got the Bradly one from ebay for like $200 - does the job for me - I go through two different mowers - 5 blades - everyday. Keeping my blades in excellent shape is my new obsession since getting it several months ago.

It may not be the magnamatic - but for the cost difference it has made a chore I once dreaded doing to something I look forward to with a new positive outlook

Whatever brand you decide to get will make you have a new outlook on this much need chore.

5. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a great grinder except is dosn't have the ability to sharpen wavy mulch blades, only flat straight blades .

6. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

That is correct the MAG-9000 cannot do the wavy blades, but neither can any of the other brands. So in that regard there is not a direct difference.

The ONLY sharpener in the industry to maintain the same angle along a wavy mulching blade is the Magna-Matic MAG-8000.

Also remember the MAG-9000 comes with the grit guard and vac attachment, tools to change the wheel, and does not require dressing or a dressing tool.

The MAG-9000 does not have any restriction on the cutting edge length like the RBG and others. In other words you can sharpen any length cutting edge.

Thank you,