1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 - Jackson wheelbarrows down...now what?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Jun 20, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought 2 jackson wheelbarrows about 3 monthes ago. My employees love the ease of the 2 wheels...and they are much more productive. They are the 8 cu. poly ones that you get at lowes. Unfortunately they have both went to crap recently. The supports suck...I have bent the axle on both of them...the poly tubs get misshappened. They are just not made for what I have to throw at them. Does anyone know of a better built wheelbarrow that is 2 wheel?! I really like the lightness of the polytubs..but I think that is also the downfault in them. They have little structural integrity.
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

get a Jackon wheelbarrow with a metal tub, the are unbreakable, they'll get banged up but they will not break, im suprised you broke the poly tubbed ones, they looked to be strong. They'll put some muscle on you n your employee.

3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

My dad loved them but they were only good for mulch, I found them less productive on around plants. I got 3 bent ones and three with flat tires because I have not let anyone use them.
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

we have one and its great for mulch with the large bucket but it is not durable,my guys beat the piss out of it and broke out the bottom of the tub,so I took it to my brothers shop and welded in new support brackets from heavier steel beefed up the axle and added a plywood bottom to the tub-hell its 20 lbs heavier but have not had a problem since.
  5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Try JEEP wheelbarrows,We use em now.:usflag:
  6. J.J.

J.J. LawnSite Member

Go to gemplers.com and look at the brentwood series.
  7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

One of the only advantages to buying from Home Cheapo is that they will take it back - no questions asked. We buy those 2 wheel 8cu.ft models for moving light materials and they work great. We use them til they crumble and then take them back. As for the Jackson all steel ones - used to be the only thing we would own. Anymore they fold up like a cheap lawn chair. I think they changed the grade of steel in order to get into the box stores or something. I am currently in search of a good wheelbarrow because the Jackson's and Miller's have become garbage. Anyone else having this problem?
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we custom build ours. find old heavy steel tub, use square tube steel handles.... etc.
  9. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Got any pictures?
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ill try to remember to take one tomarrow night.