2 jobs to bid...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sancho_man_orlando, Aug 1, 2006.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I have 2 decent jobs to bid.

1 is about 500 sq. ft of mulch beds that needs to be weeded and mulched. How do I handle this? Do I charge myself an hourly, add in 2 laborers and have the mulch delivered? I'm not sure how many hours to bid as billable time. I was thinking it could take 1 guy 2 days. So 2 guys 1 day? 3 guys 5-6 hours?

2nd is a guy who turned a garage into a 2 story building and had to have a retaining wall put in. He wants me to pull up ALL of the greenery which is probably close to 20 shrubs, small palms, and kill the grass, till it, replant shrubs, flowers, and sod.

Both jobs are a little bigger than I've done for pay. I have been renovating houses for a while and have done jobs like this and can do it but I'm not sure how much to charge?

I was thinking for 2 $15/hr laborers and myself at $20/hr for $50/hr labor and materials.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

figure 5yds of mulch for the first one. mulch and cost for spreading is around 65/yd. it might take you 1-1 1/2hrs to spread with three guys. If it is a hard to access then maybe more and you will have to charge more. The weeding should be billed out at a minimum of 30/man hr.

The second job should be billed out at a minimum of the above rates. Add materials plus 20% of what the materials cost the customer not what they cost you.

3. sancho_man_orlando

$30 per person per hour?

4. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I think at minimum 30/ man hr. 3 men =90/hr

5. sancho_man_orlando

Oh, and the $65 per yard is for labor only, not materials right? Do you usually have it delivered or do you run 5 times in a pickup to get each load?

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If you do not have a big enough trailer to get it there, then yes have it delivered and just pass the cost on to customer. It would be pretty time consuming and a mess to make 5 trips to your supplier in the bed of a truck

7. sancho_man_orlando

It's actually 1,100 sq ft of flower beds. Most of these plants are pretty over grown and he wants them cut back and mulched.

8. sancho_man_orlando

wski4fun:

Is $65 per yard for 2 inches or 3 inches?

I wrote up my estimate for $65 per yd for 2 inches and now the customer wants to know how much I'd charge for 3 inches.

9. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member