2 late for commercial accounts??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N.H.BOY, Mar 14, 2007.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I must have went into about 20 comm. accounts today and all but 3 said they already have some one for lawn care for this year. Was it too late? Do they usually get the accounts in the fall for this year?? Most of them said they do not do bids. I left a few biz. cards at all and I got 1 for sure and have to go Mon. for the other two. Still snow on the ground up here in N.H. but melting fast.
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

You may have better luck in the fall. be sure to ask when they do take bids and make a note of it
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Many times, that is what they say when they are just not in the market.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Think of it this way. A business has to have someone for everything, electrician, plumber, lawn maint. co., etc. Most have someone they use, whether they bid for it every year or not. The ones that take bids, you need to find out when to put in your bid and act accordingly, but the business's that have 'their guy' that does work for them will probably always just rely on 'that guy'. If you want in, you need to be able to approach the right contact person at the right time and sell them on you and your company.
    When I was in retail, we had every dick, john and harry from company A to company Z stopping in every other day wanting to work with/ for us. If and when the right salesperson came in at the right time and caught the boss in the right mood, they sometimes got in the door, but most were just told "we already have someone, thanks".
    It gets frustrating, but you're not the only one!
    Good luck! If you land 3 out of 20, thats pretty good odds!! If you do that every year, you'll be so busy that you'll be turning away work in no time!!!
  5. N.H.BOY

MATTfromNY--thanks I'll check back maybe next week and again ask for a bid sheet and check back at the end of the season for next year. It is really frustrating. Thanks.
  6. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

N.H.Boy -- I can certainly sympathize. I've tried about 60 comm. and industrial places and got a lot of "Sure you can give us a bid", but not very many responses. I have to keep checking with them in order to find out if I got the account. Most places don't even bother getting back to you. Industrial places seem to be better at that and are more open to actually looking at bids. I think it varies by location on when they take bids. Most places in my area look at bids in Dec. to March, but some places decide the previous fall. Keep at it, persistence helps and it does help to get your foot in the door so when they do look for someone they might give you a call to come back and bid the property. Hope it goes well for you.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Just send them some info on your business like busn. card, flyer, and letter of introduction describing your business. Send it out every quarter and you will start to see good results. Some commercial accounts take bids for the next season in fall and some start in Feb so by sending out a quarterly info packet you will get there attention whenever they start taking bids.
  8. git-r-done

git-r-done LawnSite Member

where in central n.h. are you located? :usflag:
  9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Get some 3 X 5 cards, Jan - Dec tabed index dividers, a 3 X 5 card box. When you make a contact with a prospective commercial account, find out who makes the decisions regarding grounds maintenance, when thier current contract expires. Record the information you obtained on the card and file it in the month prior to the contract expiration. When that month comes up start calling on him for a competitive bid. My commercial are serviced year around and the contracts expire at different times throught the year. Good luck and keep trying. Remember its a numbers game there are going to be a number of no and yes reply. The quicker you get the the no's the closer you are to a yes.
  10. N.H.BOY

Hey thanks I will do that for sure great idea:waving: