2 man crews have BETTER results than solo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEPSJay, Apr 25, 2006.

1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I have concluded today, that 2, or even 3, man crews will have BETTER results than a solo op. One reason, 2 sets of eyes vs. one set when looking for anything that was missed. Another reason, on a good sized job, a solo will tend to peter out towards the end of the job, start to get in a hurry, and just flim flam through there just to get done. Opinions please.........
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

2-3 man crews hurt when you have a lot of windshield time. The bigger teh jobs or the tighter you routes the better. Even though on paper it may look like you could get twice as much done, it just never seems to work out. But I ran 2-3 man crews and from tail gate drop to tailgate up 90% of the time they were all working.

Here at GU I run two man crews and although my situation is a bit different I seem to get better results out of the 2 man crews vs teh larger crews...
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i run a 4 man crew including myself .when we get to a smaller prop to wher someone would be standing around i tell one of them to run the mower while i catch up on paperwork. instaed of me working and them standing around..
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I'm at a 4 man crew now. I also like to do split crews where you are only running one truck and trailer but you have two homes close together and you split the crew, no hard firm rules per say. Just everyone starts here and in 30 min to an hour a couple guys will move on and start the next house while the other two Finish the one they are on.

I really like 5 men per truck. 1 foreman and two two man crews operated out of one vehicle do the split crew thing, except two guys get one house and the other two get the other house. The foreman floats between the two. This is a great way to give a lead man foreman experience as he has his own places and you can see how they do over time with someone closely looking over their shoulder. The numbers $$$ work out great too.

Probably does not make sense for grass cutters only but for full service its great. You really maximize the production of one vehicle and foreman.
  5. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

NEPSJay, for the first time in six years I concluded to giving a partner a try. Jobs kept on being added and I was worn out at the end of the day. As a solo I tried to control everything and just became a slave to something I really like to do. So I am hopeful to have some life at the day end. Last Saturday was my first ride with someone else. Funny feeling!

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I'm fairly new to this, but sometimes I work alone, and sometimes I bring a helper. I find it much more enjoyable to have a second person. Just this past Sunday, I did a 3 hour spring clean up/mowing/trimming. I realized just as we were finishing up that I would just be starting on all of the work that my helper just accomplished over the last 3 hours and yes I was just starting to PETER OUT as NEPSJay mentioned above. Not that I can't work more than 3 hours, but it just seems less monotnous when there is someone else to help out w/ the crappy stuff. Then again, if it's an easy job, I sometimes prefer to work alone. I guess it depends on the size and type of job for me.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't find any logic in the above statement because what does "BETTER RESULTS" mean?

as for 2 eyes versus four, you don't need four to spot mistakes. two eyes are just perfect for spotting a solo opps mistakes and he doesn't have to worry about some other dufus'es mistakes.

and why would a solo peter out at the end of a job when a two or three man crew has to cut so much more grass by the end of the day?

now you didn't specify the job, but I did specify mowing.

I might agree a 2-3-4 man crew would do better at landscaping because there is always a slacker in the crew.

and since it would be my crew, I'd be the slacker.

GEO :waving:
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

2 man crew is perfect. one man crew too small. 3 man crew too big. mind you, for the size properties i mow
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Money for the man hour is better as a one man crew. I turn about 40 to 45 an hour by myself. Two man crew drops about 5 to ten an hour. Three man crew with most of my properties would be paying someone to sit in the truck and wait for me.
  10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with bg.

I am running a two man crew this year. It has allowed me to have more energy at the end of day. I am also able to organize my business better.

Last year being solo was hard on the body and mind.