1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2" meter gpm

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I need to know what I can realistically expect from a 2" water meter at 65 psi as far as gpm. I have worked with 1" meters and know what to expect. I would like to here about real life experiences with the 2". What size pipe did you use, etc. This is a very large property I will be working with and it would take too long to water with the 1" meter. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A meter is a meter. What exists between it and the water main? That's more important.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. A 2" meter on a 1" feed reducing back to 1' is not going to achieve anything. Is it a full 2" supply or larger feeding the meter?

4. Wet_Boots

I remember a job with a inch-and-half meter and supply line (copper) and 50-60 psi. Surely I could get 25-30 gpm no sweat. Well, it turns out the water main was on the far side of a divided highway, and the 400+ foot supply line outside was probably galvanized. Don't think I even saw 20 gpm.

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

The city says it is a 2" line from the main to meter. They are saying it should flow 160 gpm but I know I cannot expect that. For those of you who have worked with 2" what do you usually plan a zone around with the specs I have given.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I don't have my charts handy. But you could think of one option. Under size the zones, and if the GPM is available, run two at one time. this gives you options if the PSI or GPM change down the road.

Yes 160 seems high. Very high.

7. Wet_Boots

160 gpm would be the rated flow capacity of that meter, and you'd probably lose 15-20 psi in the meter at that flow. And what's the distance between meter and main?

8. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I am not sure if the main is on the same side of the road but if it is on the other side of the road it is at max 50 feet.

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I'd think you could use 80-100 GPM no prob, but best to follow what Dana says - under-design, then see what you have when it's over.

OR you could just do a flow test, whether with a Mike Leary-type flowmeter or just the old low-tech stand-by, a 5-gallon bucket. Don't flow out of a faucet, tho, you have to go open discharge from your main.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

City is clueless.

I'd say max safe flow is 55 GPM.