2 million + sales

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by snomaha, Mar 26, 2008.

1. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What is your payroll expense as a percentage of total income?

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

total income is technically what is commonly referred to as profit. Im fairly sure your questions is actually about labor as a percentage of sales... its a far more relevant questions which should return answers somewhere around 45-50%.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

34.39% for payroll expense and taxes

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

33% here. That includes a $800 paycheck per week for me.

5. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm glad to see I'm not too far off, but I'm aiming for around 33% this year. It's only our second year, so I don't have the firm numbers, but this will be what we go for.

6. snomaha

from midwest

No. My question is still related to total income.

Thanks for the answers. 33.9%

7. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We were at payroll expenses of about 48% of income (sales collected). That includes all taxes and QB payroll services. We would like to be around 35% this year as one of our goals. We have some new employees (from last year) that we expect to be more efficient and productive this summer. That should reduce overtime and allow us to fit in some more projects to increase revenue.

8. snomaha

from midwest

Total income, total revenue, total sales are all the same thing. All monies collected less discounts. Also might be on your P&L as net income instead of total income.

Just thought I would clarify my question.

9. MacLawnCo

so the next question is this: those of you in the 30's, is it because your labor is such a small portion of your sales or is it because your company is so top heavy. Those really are the only two options. How about posting an avg loaded labor rate for comparison.

10. MacLawnCo

again, technical answer is that revenue/sales are your top line, income is your bottom line.