1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 New Super Zs

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nick858, Mar 12, 2008.

1. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I decided to trade off the 06 27/60 on 2 new units. I really like the 28 EFI we have with the 60 inch deck, but just not seeing a lot of fuel savings over the carb motors. At our rate of use, it would take 3 seasons to pay the difference in fuel costs, so we went with two 30/66 Super Zs. Dealer put in the order yesterday, cant wait to get them!
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Great to hear !!
    You will love them !!
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Electronic Fuel Injection has to save fuel over a carburetor type engine, there is just no way around that unless you have something wrong.

Come back and tell us the difference you see in the 30 and the 28 efi, power, response, rpm drop and so forth.
  4. Skindog

Skindog LawnSite Member

EFI produces fuel savings over carbs at part throttlle settings. A carb produces more power at wide open throttle (WOT)than a comparable EFI will.
    Most mowing is done at WOT, so it is feasable that a carb could provide better power and fuel economy at WOT than EFI
  5. puppypaws

Not true, the 28 efi Kohler is nothing but a Kohler 27 hp carburetored engine which has been fuel injected. I have personally owned and operated both extensively. The 28 efi feels like a 30 hp engine in comparison to the 27.

I have never considered cutting at less than full throttle. The engineers with Kohler will tell you operating at full rpm's is the maximum cooling you get for air cooled engines an all hydraulic components.

There is no way a carburetor type engine can have better fuel economy than a fuel injected engine, if this were the case what reason did the automotive industry have for making all vehicles fuel injected. This was done to cut back on emissions from burning less fuel while generating more power.

I feel assured not very far in the future our EPA will require all small engines such as those used in mower applications to be fuel injected for the reasoning of lower emissions and better fuel economy.

The efi I run now has more feel of power due to the lack of throttle lag. When I would run into a heavier cutting situation with the 27 hp Kohler the rpm's would fall an it would take longer to come back into full operating rpm's. The efi rpm's fall less an responds so quickly you hardly notice, this promotes more power because there is no throttle lag in comparison to a regular carburetor type engine. The blade tip speed will fall and not recover as quickly with a carburetor type engine and mechanical governor, so this in itself makes for a cutting time difference because your mower is not slowing down as much or as often.

Simply put, if a carburetor was a better option for engines than vehicles you drive; they would still be using them, but as we all know everything is now fuel injected. The manufactures as well as our EPA knows this is the best technology in existence for engines at this time and will be for a considerable time into the future.
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Well I run the 30 HP Kohler with a 66inch deck with mulching kit which puts even more work for the engine and right now I'm getting 1.25 to 1.3. When it was new I got 1.4gph Now I run the Royal Purple motor oil and it seem to help a little bit. Puppypaws check your gph running it hard and compare. Let us know your findings.
  7. puppypaws

I run it hard all the time, but I don't have any heavy grass because it is so dry here. I really can't work the engine in this dry stiff bladed grass.

That is good fuel economy with the 30, especially the way you make it work.

I would love to hear how much fuel the 37 Kawasaki uses an hour, if anyone out there has checked.